Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

About to buy Procharger, need some help quickly!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 PM
erikm

Default About to buy Procharger, need some help quickly!

So after looking for a few months, I've finally found what seems to be my deal. A found a guy selling a Procharger kit and am about to buy it. It's the P1-sc model with 9 and 12lb pulleys if I remember correctly. The kit includes everything needed including all the injectors, fuel pumps, tubing, mounts, literally everything EXCEPT an intercooler and a handheld tuner. When the guy upgraded to a different blower he claimed he wanted to keep them, makes sense right? The total price is 1500$. He wanted about 2, 2.2k but I talked him down. The kit has 8000 miles on it. FIRSTLY, is this the steal I think it is? I'm worried about two things... First, I like torque, and I like getting my neck snapped as I accelerate. For this I realize a Xcharger is a better choice for this, but I'm thinking, throw on 3.73 and add the extreme deal Im getting, and I guess it should make it ok right? Is the difference that extreme? This leads to my second question. Is there a market for people buying prochargers, in case I dont like it? Basically, should I have to wait more than a few weeks to sell the complete kit at around 2k if I decide I'd rather get another one? Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it!

Also, if you've made it this far, my ultimate goal is 430hp. What internals are most likely going to be needed in order to somewhat safely run those numbers? The dude says he achieved 426 with the 12lb pulley thats included on a stock 4.0! Crazy too me
Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

I myself do not have a procharger ... yet working on getting one soon... however I have researched for countless hours and have discovered the x is more neck snapping when u hit the gas however the procharger consistently makes bigger numbers, ive read its not super safe to run more than 9-10 psi of boost without forged internals ( rods pistons etc...) I'm going to assume u have the 8.8 because most say the 7.5 wont survive more than 350 rwhp and its not worth it to build it up 2k is a steal so 1500 us a steal and murder . Give me some time and if you dont want yours ill be in the market very soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

2 things you gotta do- get an IC somewhere and THEN get a good custom dyno tune
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
I myself do not have a procharger ... yet working on getting one soon... however I have researched for countless hours and have discovered the x is more neck snapping when u hit the gas however the procharger consistently makes bigger numbers, ive read its not super safe to run more than 9-10 psi of boost without forged internals ( rods pistons etc...) I'm going to assume u have the 8.8 because most say the 7.5 wont survive more than 350 rwhp and its not worth it to build it up 2k is a steal so 1500 us a steal and murder . Give me some time and if you dont want yours ill be in the market very soon.
With a centrifugal blower you can run a 13psi pulley safely which is about 12.5 at the manifold depending on ambient temperatures and such. I have been running the 13 psi pulley (2.87) for about 1 1/2 years now at 347rwhp/337rwtq on a conservative tune without any issues. The guy I bought the supercharger from had a 138k miles on his car when he took it off, 90k of that supercharged and the motor was flawless when he took it apart. With the procharger they are geared differently as far as the blower itself so the pulley numbers (ex. 2.87) would be different but they have similar pulleys to Vortech like 8,10,13 ect... There is even people running 15psi pulleys on stock motors with water meth injection to cool the charge and make around 400rwhp/380rwtq but thats pushing it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM
erikm

Thanks for all the help guys, I gotta hop on this before it disappears and I appreciate the quick responses. So about this intercooler, where can I get one? Im lost when it comes to this as I have no idea about intercoolers. I'd prefer to buy a cheaper model over the 1k procharger cooler. The dude I'm gettin it from said I could get a universal for about 300-600 dollars? And also, the tuner... Will I need a hand held one or can I just get my car tuned at a shop? I think thats it.... Oh and again, what do you guys think will be the first part to brake? I plan on hitting 400-430hp. I Know right off the bat trans and rear end, but I'm talking engine. I have another 4k to spend after I buy this SC, is that enough to get even close? I figure I'll ride it till it busts, then swap the pieces and upgrade as I go
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
erikm

Anybody?