Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Right tail light brake light not working. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM
JZoro4

Default Right tail light brake light not working. Need Help!

So on my passenger side the right most tail light is not lighting up when I use the brakes or hazards. I checked the bulb, went through a few to make sure, and realized it was not the bulb. Then I noticed if I put on the running lights it would light up normally but still not when i put on the hazards. So I'm guessing it has to do with the wiring but I was wondering if anybody could help me out.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I've experienced something similar to this. Usually if one bulb is bad or is going bad, it'll cause the whole shebang to go with it too. I just wnet ahead and replaced the set of bulbs on the side that was giving me trouble. Sorry I can't help you further, maybe someone else could be of some assistance
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JZoro4
So on my passenger side the right most tail light is not lighting up when I use the brakes or hazards. I checked the bulb, went through a few to make sure, and realized it was not the bulb. Then I noticed if I put on the running lights it would light up normally but still not when i put on the hazards. So I'm guessing it has to do with the wiring but I was wondering if anybody could help me out.
You are saying bulb like you only checked one. There is 3 bulbs for the brakes/running lights and 1 for reverse. I would check them all and verify that the wiring isn't split or something of that nature anywhere on the tail light harness.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've seen where a dirty harness connector has caused issues. Spray some contact cleaner on the male and female halves and then join and separate them repeatedly a few times. If that and checking the bulbs again doesn't fix it, see if you have evidence of moisture on the carpet by the front passenger kick panel.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
JZoro4

I tried everything you guys have recommended. I replaced all four bulbs, which included the reverse bulb and the same thing happened. I tried the contact cleaner as well and it did not solve my problem. I even checked the fuses and nothing was blown. I can't think of what else could be wrong.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Have you checked for moisture in the SJB area?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
I've experienced something similar to this. Usually if one bulb is bad or is going bad, it'll cause the whole shebang to go with it too. I just wnet ahead and replaced the set of bulbs on the side that was giving me trouble. Sorry I can't help you further, maybe someone else could be of some assistance
I agree So Cali. I do the same. Been through it twice and it worked both times.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Have you considered sequential tail lights? Kits like WebElectric's are easy to install (unscrew the tail light, unplug old harness, plug new harness in, replace tail light), not very expensive, have good customer support, and they are a nice custom touch. Replacing the entire wiring harness means that any possible problem with the old wiring harness will be gone for good, although if it is a problem with another part this won't help.