Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Converable in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 AM
s3rr00

Default V6 Converable in Germany

So first of all I hope this is the write place to ask this question. I currently live in California and bought a 2012 V6 Mustang Convertible. I will be permanently moving to Germany in the next year or two and was wondering what I need to get changed for the V6 Convertible to get the German TUV. I know I need to change the light but what about the fact that it is a convertible? Do I need to install a roll over bar or anything like that?
I hope you can help me because I really want to take this car with me.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 AM
Forty-two
1st Gear Member

As far as I know you only need to change the lighting. That is you can't have red turn signals and you need a rear fog lamp. And HIDs are sometimes a problem too.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Are you moving as part of the U.S. Forces or Government? If so, you don't need to change anything.

If, however, you are wanting to move to Germany permanently and drive the car legally with German TUV then there are a few things that need to be changed. I have a few German friends that have Mustangs, but they all purchased them here and were changed before importing. The one's that I know of that have changed everything they needed here in Germany the cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 Euro. That's a rough guess on my part, but I know it was expensive.

You're best bet may be to contact the TUV here in Germany beforehand and find out all the stuff you need. There's also a hefty Germany import tax so you may want to contact the Zoll in your area before shipping as well. Not trying to scare you, but I do know it's a rather expensive proposition to import. I'm sure they have web pages with all the info, or an import house can sqaure you away with the info.

I think 42 is correct in that you may only need to change lights; rear trun signals need to be amber and not red, and the rear fog. All can be done so that's not a worry. I do not think there is any need for a roll bar on a vert. I see many verts on the road here. I also don't know if there needs to be a KPH vs. MPH change on the face like is done in Canada. That may not be needed since the American version has the KPH face under the MPH.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Forty-two
1st Gear Member

I'm living in Austria, but the laws are similar to those in Germany.

KPH and MPH is equal, as long as you don't get caught going over the limit
Rollbars aren't necessary either. I haven't seen a single vert here with one so far.

Some say you need to have a towing hook on your car, but it surely depends on the region where you'll be living. Some inspectors could turn a blind eye to peanuts.

Some things still do differ from Austrian laws. Here for example your ride must not be lower than 4.5 in. Don't know if it's the same in Germany.