Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

my new ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:36 AM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

Default my new ride

hello everyone, this is my first posta nd trust me it wont be the last. i have an 06 v6 mustang and i gotta say that regardless of all the hating about it not being a v8 i love this car. the car screams retro and i think thats kool. i do a have afew qustions that i would like 2 throw out there and see what you guys think. i got teh 6 because the 8 would get me into lots of trouble. i have a heavy foot so id be in jail pretty quick. anyway, i wanna do minor mods to teh car and i only seem to find v8 mods and nothing that pertains to my sweet ride. here is what im looking 4. headers, underdrive pullies, and a short shifter. i know steeda has a few of these but it always shows up as teh v8. underdrive pullies free up some HP so where can i get them? also i know that a company makes headers but i have not heard of anything as far as the performance gains. anyone gotten them and love them or hate them? your help would be great. talk soon guys.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:11 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: my new ride

ORIGINAL: 06mustang

hello everyone, this is my first posta nd trust me it wont be the last. i have an 06 v6 mustang and i gotta say that regardless of all the hating about it not being a v8 i love this car. the car screams retro and i think thats kool. i do a have afew qustions that i would like 2 throw out there and see what you guys think. i got teh 6 because the 8 would get me into lots of trouble. i have a heavy foot so id be in jail pretty quick. anyway, i wanna do minor mods to teh car and i only seem to find v8 mods and nothing that pertains to my sweet ride. here is what im looking 4. headers, underdrive pullies, and a short shifter. i know steeda has a few of these but it always shows up as teh v8. underdrive pullies free up some HP so where can i get them? also i know that a company makes headers but i have not heard of anything as far as the performance gains. anyone gotten them and love them or hate them? your help would be great. talk soon guys.
welcome! Nice to have you here...

If you only do one mod it should be a SCT X-Cal2... Even with a manual tranny it will make a very noticable difference... Everyone happens to have their favorite SCT dealer/tuner... mine happens to be Lidio at Alternative Auto (www.alternativeauto.com)

Headers... I wouldn't spend my money on headers... just not going got get much bang for your buck there... But do replace the stock muffler! A good single axle back like the JBA or Magnaflow will give you a nice gain and a nice sound... You can go with duals but in our V6 the duals are really just for looks...

UDP... waiting to see what comes comes out... should be a nice gain relatively cheap..

If you really want to get some cheap power... and get your self in trouble... hehehehe.... check out the Zex Nitrous kit... hehehee.... The 2005 Mustang GT kit works perfectly in the V6... I've had mine in for a few weeks now... I feel I have the true "Sleeper" now... LOL!!!

good luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

i know this question will cause a war of whos better but what chip or tuner provides the best HP gains. i dont wanna spend 300-400 bucks for a chip or program that will gimme 10 HP. supposedly i can get more then 10 by simply using a CAI. anyway, i wanna have as many naturally aspirated HP as possible so i want nothing but the best.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:37 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06mustang

i know this question will cause a war of whos better but what chip or tuner provides the best HP gains. i dont wanna spend 300-400 bucks for a chip or program that will gimme 10 HP. supposedly i can get more then 10 by simply using a CAI. anyway, i wanna have as many naturally aspirated HP as possible so i want nothing but the best.
Something to keep in mind... while a tuner by itself may not add a bunch of HP by itself, it is a very handy item to have.... While the CAI folks will tell you "no tune" required, to really take advantage of the CAI you need a tune. If you change the rear gears or tire size, you can easily adjust with a tuner... You can monitor your car using the data logging of the SCT X-Cal2...
Old 09-24-2005, 03:00 AM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

so the tuner isnt limited like the honda chips or teh VW chips where huh?! is there any limits as to how far you can tune with it? what did you mean by chnaging the gear? im assuming your talking about the gear in teh rear of the car right? can you change that out? i know you can but whats a good donor to do this. i wanna have quicker accel on my V6. it seems to me that 1t gear judt aint quite up to snuff with the rest of teh car. would a diff gear cure that. i know its alot of questions but gimme some time and i will be helping out as well. stangs are brand spanking new to me so i gotta ask tons of questions then get my hands dirty.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:06 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

You need a tune and a CAI. The tune will change some shift points and take away that throttle lag while the CAI will let the thing breath. The two together is most likely the biggest thing you can do for her. I haven't ordered mine yet because i can't decide between jmschips or brenspeed. But i agree, a tuner is the best thing to have for her, a very sound investment. The tuner is a palm device that flashes the chip with new settings, you can get settings from brent or the jms guys via email and upload them to the xcal2 and then install them in your pony. Before you go to the dealer, flash it back to default and they are never the wiser.

If you change your rear end gear, you'll need to adjust with the tuner to get the right mph reading from the speedometer. But remember, shorter rear gears will eat more fuel... If you wanna play with the rear, just go posi and dont change a gear size, it will help with a v6, but not worth it at the pump.

The cai (cold air intake) takes about 30min to install and you can do by yourself. the tuners they say are very easy to use and take only a few minutes more. This will do what you are looking to get out of her.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:13 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

might i add, the CAI is good for 2 to 3 mpg gain "they claim," and would most likely pay itself and the tuner off in about a year and a half. Almost like getting a free tuner with some extra horsepower
Old 09-24-2005, 10:59 AM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kriger

might i add, the CAI is good for 2 to 3 mpg gain "they claim," and would most likely pay itself and the tuner off in about a year and a half. Almost like getting a free tuner with some extra horsepower
For what it's worth, I installed a Steeda CAI with XCal2 tune. Performance difference is night and day from stock. Driven a couple thousand miles since the install. Includes a long interestate trip. Have used all three tunes (87, 89, 93) I can confirm that I saw no increase in MPG...city or highway. Others may have experienced something different.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:09 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

thanks guys. i think i will fork up the cash and get the package deal i found in another website. its an AEM brute force intake and a diablo tuner. a few other mods include pullies, and updated exhaust.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05V6inMD

ORIGINAL: Kriger

For what it's worth, I installed a Steeda CAI with XCal2 tune. Performance difference is night and day from stock. Driven a couple thousand miles since the install. Includes a long interestate trip. Have used all three tunes (87, 89, 93) I can confirm that I saw no increase in MPG...city or highway. Others may have experienced something different.
Very interesting! have you seen a decrease in mpg?

Quick Reply: my new ride