Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Convertible Top and Rear Window Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 AM
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

Default Convertible Top and Rear Window Issues

Anyone having problems with thier '05 V6 Premium Convertible top and Rear Window?
1. If I put the driver side door window up before the rear window, the rear driver side window clips the weatherstripping at the top of the window and tears it. I have already had it happen once and had to replace the entire rear window on the drivers side. The warranty covered it. This does not happen on the passenger side.
2. The cross seam that is over your head when the top is down has a reinforcing clip that runs horizontally across the top that has become undone. I also have to take this to the dealer for attention.

Just curious if anyone else had the window problem, in particular. It could be my door is out of alignment but it opens and closes fine.

'05 V6 Premium, ABS, Shaker 500, brushed crome air and fan *****, sequential tail lights, pony floor mats. Coming soon, the Pony package Grill, a cold air filter and tuning chip.
[IMG]local://upfiles/19649/2EE8B37FC3AC49F4952068835EC172B1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible Top and Rear Window Issues

have yet to have that happen... and im pretty sure ive put the front windows up before the back windows before when i put the top up
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had that problem either and I routinely put up the front windows then the rear windows. I will take a closer look though and let you know.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

I haven't seen this yet...and our top is going up and down quit a bit (probably an average of once a day or more). I usually put up the two main windows first, and then put up the small back windows. But--this isn't 100% of the time. So far, it seems to line up all seals well.

What worries me is that I see some "creasing" of the material on the passenger side, around from the window where it obviously gets a bunch of flexing. I'm watching it...I'd hate to see it wear quickly...

(Be sure to read the other convert. thread on the non-model specific 2005/06 forum about the rear window in the top.)
Old 09-22-2005, 09:13 PM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

I am taking mine in on Monday for a complete top replacement. This is due to the top canvas coming almost completely unglued from the rear window.

However, related to what you are talking about, both sides of my top have small rips even with the upper corner of the front windows where they would meet up with the upper corner of the rear window. WHen you open the door, the door window quickly goes down just enough to clear the conv top overhang. Apparently, mine doesn't do it well enough as the upper corner of the window scrapes the canvas and has caused a small tear.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
goxley11
2nd Gear Member

No problems here. I've run the top up and down a lot this summer.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:18 PM
fso119
2nd Gear Member

I'm curious. What is the order your suppose to put up the windows? I've been doing rear first then doors. It always seemed right since the seals are on the rears and you more likely to put down the doors then the rears. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:21 PM
goxley11
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'm just impatient. I pull the front window buttons all the way up so they'll come up automatically then I hold up the rear window button. All four get to the top at about the same time.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

I don't have the convertible... but my driver's side rear window is leaking a bit. After a good rain storm or a washing, I'll see a little rivulet where it was coming in. I'm gonna have to take it in someday soon, I guess. I've just been kinda waiting for something else to go wrong.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

The rubber at to top edge of the passenger side rear window has torn on my car. I cut the loose piece off and am ignoring it for now. I have no idea what order of opening/closing windows may have caused the problem. Next time I take the car to the dealer in December I'll see if they can do anything about it. I'm more concerned with the dealer making things worse than getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top and Rear Window Issues