Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Now--JMS CAI pics posted (was-Xcal2 here, error codes)

Old 09-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Xcal2 here, error codes--need help

Well, they didn't have the tune problem sorted out by the end of the day on Friday, so here I sit with my new tuner and can't use it The performance tune loads, but pings too badly to use with the 87 gas in the tank (nearly full...heh).

So, I'm hoping they will get them fixed on Monday, but we'll see. It went from exciting to dissappointing...

Old 09-25-2005, 10:43 PM
kingstrunner

Hambone,

I bummed to read about your technical issues. I also ordered the same kit from JMS but it won't arrive here in San Francisco till Tuesday. Someone in this forum mentioned gettting the engine dyno'd while installing the CAI and flashing the chip. I think I'll being going that route. A buddy of mine recommended a reliable independent garage in Hayward, CA who will just charge me about two hours labor and a flat rate for the dyno. I spoke with Steve of JMS when I purchased the kit and he said it was fairly simple to install. After reading your posts, I think I'll go with a mechanic---and I'm a mechanical and computer savvy kind of person (computer forensics and hardware).

Good Luck Hambone and I'll advise everyone of my results.

Kingstrunner
Old 09-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Heya kingsrunner,

Well, it *IS* simple enough to do---it's just that SCT botched the software so that tunes produced/loaded are botched. So---once JMS gets the software right, and I get the right tunes in the Xcal2, it's a very simple process to flash. I can see why everybody loves these things.

I do understand the dyno tuning, but I wanted to have control in my hands, especially when it might be necessary for emissions testing every year...

Pointer for installing the CAI aluminum air tube on the rubber air pipe---it worked best when the tube was softer from a warm engine It has to be stretched over the metal tube---I used a screw driver or two to help. It is a quick swap once I got that going...

Please do keep us informed of your progress, too!!

Btw---I'm fairly electronic/computer savy, too (been building my own PCs since about 1986!), do ham radio satellites as a hobby, and have a PhD in molecular genetics. This stuff ain't rocket science
Old 09-26-2005, 03:29 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

I bought the sct Xcal 2 from JMS and steeda cai from LM perrformance. I would like to know if I'm gonna have any problems before I install them. Its going on a 05 GT.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratzila

I bought the sct Xcal 2 from JMS and steeda cai from LM perrformance. I would like to know if I'm gonna have any problems before I install them. Its going on a 05 GT.
Ratzila,

Please read my reply here--this thread is about the same/similar topic...

In short "I doubt it" depending in the timing of your tune creation (before the issue, during, or after!)

https://mustangforums.com/m_715541/tm.htm
Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Hambone for the info. I need to get the stuff installed now[sm=happy046.gif]
Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Pictures please

I took some photos of the JMS CAI installed, but I can't bring myself to post them until after I get the tune going [8D]

Old 09-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I lied--here are some pictures of the JMS CAI kit with the cone installed [:-]

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/thu....php?album=274