Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shifters for the v6

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
I would ditch the royal purple ASAP. I put that **** in my t5 and a month later I was looking at having my tranny rebuilt. That stuff took me within a week of third gear syncro failure
While the Amsoil seems to be the top choice yours is the first negative account I've heard about RP, so extreme its really hard to believe. Did you do the change yourself, or at least see them adding the new fluid? It sounds like some one used some cheap non-synthetic and charged you for the RP figuring you'd never know the difference.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I have used royal purple before putting in amsoil and I can tell you the royal purple was crap compared to the amsoil. I had problems with it going into gear with the rp and now with the amsoil it is smooth and havent had any troubles
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by up_yours_7
I have used royal purple before putting in amsoil and I can tell you the royal purple was crap compared to the amsoil. I had problems with it going into gear with the rp and now with the amsoil it is smooth and havent had any troubles
I'd have gone with the Amsoil if i had a quick source for it I need to get it done. Opinion/real world experience seems to always favor the Amsoil but would you go so far *** to say the RP was ruining your trans? That's what I am having trouble believing.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

Honestly I felt like it was hurting my trans just because before I put it in shifts weren't bad but after about 15k miles I could barely get it into first and third. From what I understand the RP is to thin for the type of trans it needs a thicker fluid to run right.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

^^^ Precisely. There has to be enough friction for the syncros to catch otherwise you are just slamming gears. And I put the RP in myself. As did I the amsoil. No problems since amsoil.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Get the saleen! I got it, havent missed third yet. Amsoil ATF helps too
Any links to the saleen shift block? I can not find a place online that is still selling it for the life of me.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by snicksnipa
Any links to the saleen shift block? I can not find a place online that is still selling it for the life of me.
This should be it: Saleen-Ford-Mustang-Short-Throw-Shifter-Kit
The ad says for the v8 but in the description they go on to say it only fits the 5 spd so that would rule out the V8. There is a phone # so you can call to if they know what they are talking about.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
I'd have gone with the Amsoil if i had a quick source for it I need to get it done. Opinion/real world experience seems to always favor the Amsoil but would you go so far *** to say the RP was ruining your trans? That's what I am having trouble believing.

Royal purple is not intended to be used for the long term. In other words it a high performance lube meant for the track. It has a a lifespan of about 12 hrs track time before you need to change it again...

Stick to what your owners manual says guys unless you track your car.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Royal purple is not intended to be used for the long term. In other words it a high performance lube meant for the track. It has a a lifespan of about 12 hrs track time before you need to change it again...

Stick to what your owners manual says guys unless you track your car.
That makes some sense as the clarification says issues started around 15K, the same kind of issues I saw after 40K on the Mobil1 Synthetic.
Now 12hrs track time is way different than street miles but i don't know how to accurately convert it to street. Where are did you find that 12 hr interval info? RP offers the Max ATF and the Racing ATF, I did not find any change interval on their site or catalog. I've sent them an email asking about recommended change intervals for both products and will let you know what they say.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I had syncromax in mine not the ATF.

Quick Reply: shifters for the v6