Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Issue with BBK 70mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
TheCodeMan35

Default Issue with BBK 70mm throttle body

I have attempted an install of a BBK 70mm throttle body on a 2009 Ford Mustang Convertible, 4.0L V6. TPS voltage is in spec. Only other bolt on is K & N air intake. Everthing else is stock. Starting vehicle it runs ok. when throttling up, clearly there is more air flow, substantial HP increase apparent. When peaking throttle at redline or just running normal, the car throws a wrench after a minute or so and displays eight codes, all related to air flow and throttling. The car basically stops at that point and requires me to reset the onboard computer by turning the ignition key to the on and off position four times. My assessment is the additional air flow passing the mass airflow sensor is throwing the onboard computer off as it doesn't know how to handle the additional air intake. Supposedly the BBK requires no other additional bolt ons to work such as a tuner, but I can't get it to work.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make it work without adding a tuner kit?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hopefully, you'll find someone familiar with the quirks of the BBK (and most other aftermarket TB's) to help. The only thing I can offer is that had you used this forum's search engine first, you wouldn't have bothered with an aftermarket TB. I think you're experiencing a placebo effect as the stock TB's on both the 4.6L and 4.0L S197 engines do little if anything for performance. You probably could have felt a huge improvement simply by cleaning your stock TB; they're very prone to performance loss due to dirt/varnish.

Aftermarket TB's on the S197 are a known source of trouble.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

First off, sorry for your problems.
Welcome and its a sad day when a problems
answer is to join a Forum and ask them.
Cart before the horse situation?
Lets turn this into a leaning experience.
My assesment is that there are way too many
"my BBK TB is throwing codes"
posts here for me to ever want to buy one of those.
NO HP increse but more problems. What a selling point.
Must get from point A to point B reliably is the function of my Stang.

Not a showcase for the most amount of bolt ons that are being sold.
Also the search function works well around here and "BBK" will turn
up many a bad install and the resulting sell on eBay then the buyer
eventually ends up here in the same boat as you.
An informed buyer is a happy buyer.
An impulse buyer is rarely happy the next day.

Did ya remove the negative battery cable during the
install to reset the adaptive learning and then do the
adaptive learning relearning procedure properly?

Other things to stay away from:
JETT Modules
Sprint Boosters
Screaming Demons and the associated spiro wires
Yellow Top optimas
shaker 500/1000 "upgrades"
Pypes pipes
'no tune required' CAIs such as K&Ns
oh yea, and magic beans

never heard of this 4 turns of the key reseting the computer...
where is this in the service manual??

Last edited by 157dB; 07-21-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

What kills me is it sounded like he didnt have a tune period...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 AM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

i went a round with the bbk tb. i bought it off a member that couldnt get it to work just to give it a try. its very hard to get the voltage set just right. you can get it adjusted right on the money, then bolting the tb motor cover back on will throw it off just a fuzz. i was able to get it set up perfect with lots of trying. i ran it for a couple months it ran great while on the gas, and it idled great too. i took it to the track and it shaved 1-2 10ths off my 1/4 mile. i could hear and feel slight improvement that i was happy with.

the problem i had, and the reason it sits on the bench right now is i have a auto trans. idling down the sidestreet it would allow the rpm`s to rise just enough to shift into 2nd. then with my foot off the gas it would continue and shift into 3rd which left me having to ride the brakes to slow down to the 20 mph posted speed on my street. sitting in park, if i tached the engine just a little, the rpm`s would hang for just a couple seconds then drop fast back to idle speed.( thats what caused my creeping faster problem on the side street).

someone suggested a extra turn on the tb motor spring. huge mistake trying that. it jammed the tb one day and left me stranded on the road with the wrench light and in limp home mode which wouldnt even limp home cause the butterfly was jammed. none of the tunists or bbk could figure out a way to correct the issue. its a small issue but not one i could live with. if i had a stick, it might not have mattered. if i ever find the answer, i`ll put it back on.

turning the key 4 times, if i`m not mistaken will remove or clear the dtc code but it does not re set the computer. disconnecting the battery will. and ya, you dont need a tuner for the tb. the addaptive learning should be enough to make the adjustments.

on the voltage, i set it dead nuts to the oem tb voltage, not sure about any limits
Attached Thumbnails Issue with BBK 70mm throttle body-tb-1-voltage-check.jpg   Issue with BBK 70mm throttle body-tb-2-voltage-check.jpg  

Last edited by amustangrocks; 07-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Tyler20074pointoh

I have the same issue it doesnt slow down. stays at 1500 rpms. Its a shame i have a tuner and everything just a dissapointment.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

DigDigDig
Hello new member.
The member you bought it from UNLOADED it on you...
Not many remove perfectly good working hop up parts
and sell them on the Forums...
Search BBK TB and see that they are problematic
POS.
Reinstall the OEM TB and enjoy getting from one place
to another like the vehicle was designed to do.

Limp lights are no fun and impede the designed function
of having a vehicle...

Last edited by 157dB; 12-20-2013 at 02:37 PM.