Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FML

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy FML

So it happens to all of us, well some anyway. On the beautiful thanksgiving day my dad and I loaded up into my car and started to head to our famlies houses across the state. We get to Mountain View, and my dad said he needed to go to the bathroom so we were going to the nearest gas station. As we roll up to a yeild sign a cop was approaching from the left down the road and before i could stop the guy in front of me slammed on his breaks, because the cop was coming, and I just read ended him about 5-10 mph. When I looked up the hood was bent in half, and I knew I was done for. Before i could turn the car off the guy jumped out of his truck and started running up to my door. I got out and he just started yelling at me "you better have instuance" and whatever else. Of course I did but this guy was just being a total *** to me, and the only visable thing that was wrong was a dented bumper. We pulled off the road and he's like yeah I have a 97 cobra and all this stuff and I was like dude just leave. So he proceded to pull my dad over there and show that he was going to need a new bumper, leak springs, maybe frame straightning, and a new exhaust pipe. But since he owned a shop he knows everything. I quit listening and we left and my car is getting fixed. As of yesterday, before they were done looking at it, the total was up to $4,500. And I am just like where is these numbers coming from? What can you do. Pretty sure its going to take months to get my pride back. All I can say is damn.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Here's a pic. Exucse my dad back there.
Name:  carcrash.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  131.6 KB

Last edited by Keep it real; 11-29-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

That sucks, but accidents do happen bro....Good to hear no one was hurt.
According to the pic, it looks like you will need a new front fender and hood.
Is the bumper scraped up at all?
My 1999 Mustang was totalled out when I guy pulled out in front of me in his Isuzu Trooper. My front bumper exploded and the front axle was pushed back about 2 inches.
I was in the process of saving up for a GT, but only had the 99 Mustang exactly a year and did not have much saved, so I went with a 2005 V6 Mustang. I had the car 2 weeks and a buddy's Wife backed into my drivers side rear fender. They paid out of pocket $1,200 to get it fix and we did not go through insurances, since we knew each other. I didn't even make a single payment on the car, before it got hit. LOL
Good luck with the repairs!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Stang010

You know I have heard stories of this happening to people but it being done for fraud. People who see someone who happens to be close to them they would slam on their brakes so the person behind them would hit them. Then in turn would either act like they were severely injured and sue or they had a friend at a garage and jacked up the cost of repairs so they would have some "spare change".

Don't mean to put some doubt in your mind but from your side of the story this seems to be a bit suspicious. Also since he "owns a shop" I would force my insurance to make him take his car to a third party. If he is making his own estimates he WILL screw you over. Stay on your insurance to have him get various quotes from validated places before you do anything. Also NEVER admit fault no matter what happens in an accident.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Looks like similar damage that happened to me, but mine was $9000 in damages. Mine happened because an idiot blew past a stop sign as I was making a left turn on a hill (very weird turn) and I ran under his front bumper. He had a 2000 Ranger with no damage, but you can see what it did to mine. I hit him going maybe 10 mph.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah as stated if he wants repairs make your company send him to a 3rd party insurer. I'd also force the accident to be reviewed as a possible fraud claim by stating he slammed on his breaks for no reason and you couldn't stop in time. If he's caught at fault for fraud you will be cleared and his insurance will have to take the hit to pay for the repairs.

I was put at fault by the stupid sheriffs office for my accident dispite the fact the guy ran the stop sign. I filed a claim with my insurance company and had the incident reviewed. They sent an investigator to the accident scene and confirmed what I said so it was over turned and they made him pay for the repairs.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

That sucks man, but how in the world are these totals ending up so high? I'm still thinking about what Kevin was saying about it just being the hood and fender(bumper too?) but my gosh.

Back in Phoenix where traffic on the freeway is going like 55 when you're 10ft behind the next car I've always been blessed enough to have good reaction times and safe drivers around me. I remember one time I almost* rear ended someone because they slammed on their brakes because they suddenly saw a cop that was creeping up, best part was that 3 other cars had the same reaction and they all ended up boxing in the cop car going like 7 under for a few miles before he flashed his lights to get through.

Good times, but good luck with all of it. I hope you can get them to at least turn an eyebrow to the situation.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Just got word the total was $4,900 exact. As for the bumper though it is scraped and dented in right there next to the headlight. My question/concern is if its that high then are we talking about frame damage/engine damage. It drove home just fine. I guess time will tell. Hopefully a cop doesnt write me a ticket, he saw everything happen, so who knows.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Ask the person who gave you with the quote to provide you with a list of items that the shop is going to fix.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Nice car JTHORN9! Like the wheels, like the color of car.