Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What's the catch? Magnaflow dualies

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:08 AM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What's the catch? Magnaflow dualies

Well, I went and did it!! My Magnaflow exhaust came in yesterday and I installed it today. I must say that I was a little concerned about it sounding a little ricey. The sound clips from the Magnaflow website do make it sound a little rice, but none of the sound clips that I have found online do it justice! Even the video clip I made sounds a little high pitched, but this is not the case when you have it installed. It sounds really deep and throaty. Before, I would always have people point and stair at my car when I drove around, now they can hear me coming and look to see what it is! It is really interesting to watch people stop and stair, especially the hot ladies! Yeee Hawww!!! [sm=gears.gif]
The install was not that bad. I took it to a friends house and just drove it up on a small set of ramps. There was enough clearance to work, but not enough clearance to pull out the main pipe, so we ended up cutting it in half to get it out. Getting the new Magnaflow pipes in was a breeze, but it did take a little while to adjust the pipes just right so they did not rub up against anything. I emailed several people who have this exhaust and asked about cutting the bumper, some said you had to and others said you did not have to. I decided not to cut mine, but it looks like I will have to cut it after all. The drivers side muffler does come a little bit to close to the bumper. On my first long run in the car, I've noticed that some of the plastic is melting off onto the exhaust tip [sm=insomnia.gif], so I will need to do something soon. The chrome tips on the exhaust are awesome! They have a pretty cool Magnaflow logo on the sides.
As far as adding horsepower to the car, I'm not really sure if it did or not. It feels like the car is breathing better though. It certianly is more enjoyable to drive now! It's like 12AM right now and I want to go jump in my car and zoom down the highway! Overall I'd say this is a must have for all V6 owners! You will not regret getting this system! I have to give a shout out to fastmustangparts.com for hooking me up with a good deal on this system. They sell them on ebay for a good price and they respond pretty quick to questions.
I have posted pictures and video on my web site... http://www.burdweiser.com/Mustang/Mustang.htm
Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Congratulations!!!! Wait until they break in...then they will sound sweet!!!! The clips from the magnaflow site or single axle backs....our dualie kits sound nothing like that. I finally got mine fitting perfect and aligned with my GT bumper, I will post some pics for those of you going with a GT, Street Scene or Xenon bumper to get an idea of how it will look. I noticed increased torque when I installed mine.

Your ride looks sweet....good job!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Sounds good burdweiser!

You're getting me all jealous.. my magnaflows are sitting in the middle of my bedroom, trip over them every morning. Can't wait to get 'em in. [>:]

Looks like the tips protrude out from the bottom a tad too much, or maybe that's just how it look on V6 bumper. No worries, I'm sure it'll fit right on my Xenon bumper, once I get it.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

I do need to adjust the pipes a little bit. I think the drivers side pipe is a little bit to close to the spare tire well because it vibrates against there around 40mph. I'm going to pull out the measuring tape tonight to see how even the tips are.
Now that I've been driving around with them a little bit I have noticed a little HP gain! Much more than what my drop-in K&N filter did.
Hurry up and get that system off your floor Spartan! The Magnaflows are awesome! [sm=happybounce.gif] I'm sure they will look great with the Xenon bumper.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:50 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I had that problem as well, and one other problem. I had to loosen the bolt near the Y, and twist the pipe a bit so it could clear the spare tire wall.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

Which way did you twist the Y pipe? Clockwise? That will help next weekend when I crawl under the car again.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

counter clockwise if you are facing the front of the car. if you are under it on your back...facing the rear of the car then turn it clockwise, like 1/4 inch...there isn't much room to work with but you want to center that pipe as much as you can.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

I went in and tried to turn the Y pipe, but I am still getting that rattling around 40MPH!! [:@] How much room do you have between your spare tire well and the muffler? I have less than a fingures width between there. I tried moving the pipe around, but it's hard to hang the mounting bracket once it's perfect. The passenger side tip seems to stick out about 1/4 inch beyond the drivers side. This is gonna drive me nutz! I even tried switching the mounting brackets.
I'm going in next week to see if the dealership will replace my gas tank since I'm having that common gas pump problem. Once they chance that out, I'll make them adjust those pipes right, or I'll be back!! hehe [:-]