Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Magic Combination of Fuel and Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AntoThoro
Quick question about the following.

Is there a size where the spacer does provider gains? I see the PowerAid spacer looks to be an inch or so.

I did not see any, but are their any credible dyno results testing spacers?
Good question, and the answer is a resounding no unfortunately. To see gains anywhere near even the 5-10hp range, you would probably need a throttlebody the size of the actual car. And no, not kidding, here is a very good thread explaining why they have no actual benefit https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...r-problem.html

The second poster on that page explains it better than I ever could, but the summary is that the little thin spacer is not going to change air flow enough to even matter, and it's only creating more seams/joints where you could end up with intake leaks.

As far as dyno tests, you get into a lot of "he said/she said" where there are conflicting interests. A company that makes/sells these spacers isn't exactly going to want to show that their product is an expensive and attractively painted paperweight, and owners who have done dyno runs have a lot of variable factors (mods, ambient temps., type of dyno) and 5-6 HP isn't going to be accounted for very accurately as that is WELL within the error range of a dyno.

And that TB is only going to give you costly trouble in the future, if you think about it for a second- that TB motor is designed to manipulate a certain size butterfly valve, when you just slap on a new TB ***** nilly, you are asking that small motor to provide more power than it has to operate the larger TB, and chances are you will burn it out.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 12-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
AntoThoro

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Good question, and the answer is a resounding no unfortunately. To see gains anywhere near even the 5-10hp range, you would probably need a throttlebody the size of the actual car. And no, not kidding, here is a very good thread explaining why they have no actual benefit https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...r-problem.html
That was a great reference. I wish I had read that a couple of weeks ago before I bought the TB.

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
As far as dyno tests, you get into a lot of "he said/she said" where there are conflicting interests. A company that makes/sells these spacers isn't exactly going to want to show that their product is an expensive and attractively painted paperweight, and owners who have done dyno runs have a lot of variable factors (mods, ambient temps., type of dyno) and 5-6 HP isn't going to be accounted for very accurately as that is WELL within the error range of a dyno.
That was my observation as well. I was hoping that in asking there might have been some article out there that systematically tested this out. I wish I had access to a dyno because I would take the weekend and test it out.

If it's about turbulence, then why not use AirRaid EconoAid (http://www.airaid.com/econoaid.aspx)? Are you ware of anybody testing this out? Wouldn't the PowerAid help with turbulence.