Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM
AntoThoro

Default Spark Plugs and Wires

I went looking around on the forum for some information on the various "performance" spark plugs and wires and found quite a few strong opinions. I'm not expecting a HUGE increase in performance or MPG or anything like that.

I was wondering if anybody had any technical or dyno numbers that would confirm\deny the claims of the various brands.

I was reviewing the wires from the following vendors: Taylor, MSD, Granatelli, Bosch. (Are there other vendors that I should look at, not on the list?)

Furthermore, what about plugs? What brands and models are good? I hear time and time again that MotorCraft plugs are the way to go.

I don't want to start research into the technical differences between these wires and plugs when someone else might have already done this. Plus they might have tested them on a dyno.

I'd like to be able to collect samples to perform some honest sampling of the construction and electrical properties. Answer those questions about resistance. Provide some real comparison in a standardized fashion. Maybe I can find a shop with a Dyno willing to let me perform actual performance testing.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
clubplug

Vehicle: 2009 FORD MUSTANG / V6 / 4.0

NGK SPARK PLUGS (more info) ....or.... (colder heat range spark plug info) Back to top

V-Power (more info)
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note Full Tip
TR55-1 2683 0.054 View View

G-Power Platinum (more info)
TR55-1GP 7159 0.054 View View

Iridium IX (more info)
TR55-1IX 7316 0.054 View View
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM
05WIMustang
1st Gear Member

I put in Autolite copper in - they are like 1.50/each. I am happy with them.....

I will get motorcraft wires when I need to replace mine.......
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM
JimC

With my 2006 and the Xcharger I ran the Autolite 5143 or the NGK TR6 if the autolite wasn't available. No need to buy the expensive plugs, the cheap plugs work fine on the 4.0. I changed the plugs each spring only because I drove the car a LOT of miles during the year, and raced it on the weekends. The plugs were always in good enough shape to leave them in, but since they were out for inspection anyway and at $2 each it was just as easy to put the new plugs in each year.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

We've always used NGK on our Project cars. Right now our '07 4.0L runs NGK Iridium IX Performance plugs. I don't really have any direct dyno charts to show you the difference with the plugs because we added an Airaid CAI at the same time. However, I can tell you she pulls stronger than ever and doesn't skip a beat.

This is the plug I would go with if you have a naturally aspirated 4.0L!

Shane
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by AntoThoro

I was reviewing the wires from the following vendors: Taylor, MSD, Granatelli, Bosch. (Are there other vendors that I should look at, not on the list?)
http://www.magnecor.com/
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
AntoThoro

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
We've always used NGK on our Project cars. Right now our '07 4.0L runs NGK Iridium IX Performance plugs. I don't really have any direct dyno charts to show you the difference with the plugs because we added an Airaid CAI at the same time. However, I can tell you she pulls stronger than ever and doesn't skip a beat.

This is the plug I would go with if you have a naturally aspirated 4.0L!

Shane

What wires do you guys use?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
AntoThoro

Are you aware of any dynos that compare the different makes?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AntoThoro
What wires do you guys use?
What engine/year??

There aren't any spark plug wires on my 2013 V6 3.7L 305HP
Mine has coil on plug, just like my 20 year old BMW.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
With my 2006 and the Xcharger I ran the Autolite 5143 or the NGK TR6 if the autolite wasn't available. No need to buy the expensive plugs, the cheap plugs work fine on the 4.0. I changed the plugs each spring only because I drove the car a LOT of miles during the year, and raced it on the weekends. The plugs were always in good enough shape to leave them in, but since they were out for inspection anyway and at $2 each it was just as easy to put the new plugs in each year.
Using Autolite's myself. I also have a set of NGK's waiting for the next swap.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs and Wires