Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Finally had to do a rear brake job..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM
bostonboi816

Cool Finally had to do a rear brake job..

So it started last week when my left rear brake started making noise and I knew exactly what happened, ran the pads all the way down to the metal. Had no other choice but to drive with them as I had work and class. Boy was it one noisy week though lol and the rotor was trashed!!! But the old man and I finally got the time to do them this morning and WOW!! What a PAIN!! It would have been a lot easier to have the handy “tool” to screw the pistons all the way back in to accept the new pads and then index the piston relative to the caliper but without the tool it’s a hell of an hour of screwing the piston and putting enough pressure to get it back in. After that, replacing the rotor was cake, and then came the other side. We shortened that down to about 25 minutes just had to get the hang of it. Next on the list is Front pads and rotors (might as well got all the parts) then a retint!!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bostonboi816
So it started last week when my left rear brake started making noise and I knew exactly what happened, ran the pads all the way down to the metal. Had no other choice but to drive with them as I had work and class. Boy was it one noisy week though lol and the rotor was trashed!!! But the old man and I finally got the time to do them this morning and WOW!! What a PAIN!! It would have been a lot easier to have the handy “tool” to screw the pistons all the way back in to accept the new pads and then index the piston relative to the caliper but without the tool it’s a hell of an hour of screwing the piston and putting enough pressure to get it back in. After that, replacing the rotor was cake, and then came the other side. We shortened that down to about 25 minutes just had to get the hang of it. Next on the list is Front pads and rotors (might as well got all the parts) then a retint!!
You might consider going to GT front brakes. All you need is the caliper mounting bars and GT rotors. The calipers are the same (v6 and v8). You would be more than thrilled with the difference in makes in our v6's when it comes to stopping. The rears are all the same, so by doing the front you've upgraded to a better stopping system. JMO

I just remembered, you will need at least 17 inch wheels to to that upgrade. The 16 inch wheels won't clear the calipers, so if you still have the 16's then disregard the thought. lol

Last edited by akdoggie; 12-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
bostonboi816

Originally Posted by akdoggie
You might consider going to GT front brakes. All you need is the caliper mounting bars and GT rotors. The calipers are the same (v6 and v8). You would be more than thrilled with the difference in makes in our v6's when it comes to stopping. The rears are all the same, so by doing the front you've upgraded to a better stopping system. JMO

I just remembered, you will need at least 17 inch wheels to to that upgrade. The 16 inch wheels won't clear the calipers, so if you still have the 16's then disregard the thought. lol
Ya I got the stock 17s lol. That's very interesting though! So all I need is gt rotors and mounting stuff?? Question, if the calipers are all the same then what's the difference in the gt front rotors and v6 front rotors? Is it thickness or diameter?
Thanks for the info I might just have to do that
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
JimC

The difference between the GT and V6 front brakes is the larger rotor, and the bracket that holds the caliper is bigger to accommodate the increased diameter.

Name:  IMG_1298.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  comparisonGTleftV6bracketright.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1300.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  76.3 KB

this is where the bracket goes
Name:  GTbracketonrotor.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

And don't forget, while you have everything apart to paint the calipers (if you are inclined). It makes things looks so much better and helps set the wheels off from the rest of the car.

Hey thanks for the pics. I couldn't find where I did mine, and your's were clearer anyways. It is such an easy upgrade, and does so much for our braking. It was one of my first mods, and besides the dual exhaust, was probably my favorite upgrade.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
bostonboi816

I’m definitely going to talk to the old man in the upcoming weeks because that sounds like a hell of an idea, I thought there was wayyyyy more than just the caliper brackets and rotors. Plus I can play the “its a lot safer dad!!!!” haha. It seems very straight forward. You guys are such a help!!! Lol

Akdoggie do you happen to have any picture of how much space is left in between the GT rotors and the rims?? (Even though you have 18” I kind of just want to see how it sits in that space for my 17’s )
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
JimC

It will fit the 17" fine. The stock size for the GT was 17".

I have some pictures of it on my old car with 17" bullitts:

Name:  IMG_1438.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  52.1 KB

These are the best I can find right now.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bostonboi816
I’m definitely going to talk to the old man in the upcoming weeks because that sounds like a hell of an idea, I thought there was wayyyyy more than just the caliper brackets and rotors. Plus I can play the “its a lot safer dad!!!!” haha. It seems very straight forward. You guys are such a help!!! Lol

Akdoggie do you happen to have any picture of how much space is left in between the GT rotors and the rims?? (Even though you have 18” I kind of just want to see how it sits in that space for my 17’s )
The have 17's on the Stock 11-13 V6 and it has the same brakes as the 05-10 GT's on the front.
I have 1/2 inch of clearance between caliper and the stock 17's that I run as winter tires
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
bostonboi816

Definitely takes up some space, looks really good!! i asked the old man and he said he'll think about it sooooo that's probably a yes, he just doesn't know it yet haha
Looks very tight 1/2 inch sounds about right lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I did the front brake upgrade, bought the rotors and caliper brackets as a kit, and new separate brake pads. using 17" wheels, it clear just fine.

Quick Reply: Finally had to do a rear brake job..