Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 V6 single to Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
ZackBallard3

Default 05 V6 single to Dual Exhaust

I have a single flowmaster american thunder pipe along with shorty headers and it sounds amazing. but i would love to have dual american thunders but flowmasters does not make a true dual conversion like pypes or ford racing. i find that hard to believe considering they are a huge company. am i just looking in the wrong places or do they really not make a true dual kit??
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM
JimC

All that you need is the driver side over axle/mid pipe and the muffler hangers for the driver side. Then cut out the Y from the stock exhaust and either splice in an X or H pipe, or splice in a small piece to run from the exhaust manifold after the cat to the over axle pipe (true dual with no cross over). Cut the bumper for the second muffler and you are done.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
ZackBallard3

thanks for the info. never thought about that. do you think it would still sound good? im just afraid of getting the "honda civic on roids" sound lol
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i drove one with dual pipes last year...sounded awesome dude
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I just took mine to a muffler shop, where they made the complete system including the H pipe and installed it with 24 inch glass pacs and chrome tips ( which sounds awesome ) for $230.00!! Also, the H pipe sounds much better than an X pipe, it has more of an old school rumble
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
ZackBallard3

awesome. i have been on youtube looking around and one guy had pypes h pipe and mid pipe with the american thunder axle back duals. sounds amazing. im going to call this exhaust shop downtown and see what they can do.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

On my 2007 V6 I put a dual exhaust with an x-pipe and used the Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers for a while (these). They had a nice loud, aggressive sound. I took them off a few months ago and put on some FR500S's which are less agressive but also a little quieter. I still have my Flowmasters. Let me know if you want them, $125 + shipping.

//mark
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
ZackBallard3

i would take you up on that offer but i already have one american thunder just need to get the second one for my driver side. i believe im going to do the h pipe. ive heard its a better sound than the x. however right now i am stuck between buying a panhard bar, i am about to put lowering springs on. new rocker panels that match my car( not the ugly ones they put on the v6's) or this exhaust stuff. its killing me!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by ZackBallard3
im just afraid of getting the "honda civic on roids" sound lol
Don't remove the cats - terrible idea on the 4.0. No performance gains and the Honda will sound better.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Im telling you though, Put the mufflers under the cabin, not behind the axle. if you put them behind the axle, you will get a very loud drone in the cabin area and the glass pacs underneath the cabin sound awesome. I know this from experience!

Quick Reply: 05 V6 single to Dual Exhaust