Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Removing a Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Question Removing a Limiter

Can anyone explain how to remove a limiter from a V6 2011 Mustang? Also what types of things I will need to do to my car so that it does not fall apart if I were to travel faster than the limiter allows? Thank you!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

You do it with a tuner. I haven't done it myself, but it's in there somewhere. Not sure if the standard tunes you get with a handheld tuner will do it, I imagine they don't. You'd probably have to find it and change it manually, or get a tune from someone like American Muscle/Bama Tunes that do custom tunes. You'd certainly want better tires W or Z rated, and I've read a few things about the driveshaft not being up to it...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

That's what I had heard too. Does anyone know about prices on those?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Check out some of the sponsors that offer tuners/tunes... like American Muscle and Diablo in particular...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vendor_directory.php
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

tech section
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome (again)....get a tuner....once again, check out AmericanMuscle.com for a list of tuners
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
You do it with a tuner. I haven't done it myself, but it's in there somewhere. Not sure if the standard tunes you get with a handheld tuner will do it, I imagine they don't. You'd probably have to find it and change it manually, or get a tune from someone like American Muscle/Bama Tunes that do custom tunes. You'd certainly want better tires W or Z rated, and I've read a few things about the driveshaft not being up to it...
The Flywheel is the REAL problem with these cars(V6's). Changing the driveshaft only puts a bandaid on the it. If you plan on doing plenty of mods, and you will, I would advise changing both. The flywheel is what is causing the vibration in the first place. This is what ends up destroying the driveshaft when going over the set limit.
Enjoy!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

I have a 2012 V6 and have a BAMA tuner from AM. The tuner does not include the option to remove the speed limiter. I called AM the other day and they said that I had to tell them that I have an aluminum driveshaft in order for them to send me the tune. AM carries the driveshaft but it seems that it has been out of stock for quite some time. I have heard though that the later model 2013's have the aluminum shaft on them. I wonder if that would fit a 2011 or 2012?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
2011V6Nicole
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2011 V6 and a Bama tuner from AM. The tuner took my limiter off and I still have the stock driveshaft. I've had mine up to 125mph with no issues, didn't stay there long tho I didn't wanna push my luck and break something. I think I remember reading somewhere that you're fine as long as you stay under 135mph with the stock driveshaft, but I'm not positive.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hurricaneduc
I have a 2012 V6 and have a BAMA tuner from AM. The tuner does not include the option to remove the speed limiter. I called AM the other day and they said that I had to tell them that I have an aluminum driveshaft in order for them to send me the tune. AM carries the driveshaft but it seems that it has been out of stock for quite some time. I have heard though that the later model 2013's have the aluminum shaft on them. I wonder if that would fit a 2011 or 2012?
Same basic Drive Shaft, just a different part number

Quick Reply: Removing a Limiter