Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Conversion: single exhaust to dual

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amaNIN
Why can't you just get a duplicate stock single exhaust (from Ford), and flip it over and install it upside down? I know the hangers would be pointing to the road but there has to be a cheaper way of getting the look of dualies on a V6. Even AM's MAC kit is $500 bones! Plus the install.
That doesn't make sense. Stock you have a Y-pipe that comes off the cats, then goes straight out to a single muffler. If you get a second V6 stock pipe, you'll end up have to cut/bend pipes, or get a Y/X/H pipe, in order for them to hook up to the original stock setup. It's probably more expensive than just getting a cat back kit.

The cheapest route route is probably to go with a faux dual system that connects your stock Y-pipe to an aftermarket Y-pipe, then out to the dual mufflers (e.g. GT take-offs).
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM
JimC

Why can't you just get a duplicate stock single exhaust (from Ford), and flip it over and install it upside down? I know the hangers would be pointing to the road but there has to be a cheaper way of getting the look of dualies on a V6. Even AM's MAC kit is $500 bones! Plus the install.
Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
That doesn't make sense. Stock you have a Y-pipe that comes off the cats, then goes straight out to a single muffler. If you get a second V6 stock pipe, you'll end up have to cut/bend pipes, or get a Y/X/H pipe, in order for them to hook up to the original stock setup. It's probably more expensive than just getting a cat back kit.

The cheapest route route is probably to go with a faux dual system that connects your stock Y-pipe to an aftermarket Y-pipe, then out to the dual mufflers (e.g. GT take-offs).
And, once you flip the muffler over, pay someone to cut off and mount new hangers - you have the problem that now your inlet is facing the wrong way also so you need to cut that off and fabricate one that faces the correct way. So your "cheap" method will be much more expensive to fix the muffler.

And you still need to get either an H or X pipe, cut and splice it in and buy the driver side over axle pipe. Going dual is more than just buying a second muffler.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
On my 2010 I bought a Pypes X-Pipe, left GT Over the Axle Pipe and a set of GT mufflers.
You will also need the muffler mounting brackets for the left side and clamps for the X-Pipe.
I had under $350 in mine.
You will also need to cut out the bottom of the bumper on the left side for the tip. I had to replace the whole lower valance on the 2010
Read above, Easy
Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

So you have to get: 2 new mufflers, an X, Y or H pipe(mid pipe?) and hangers, mounting brackets, etc. for the the pipes and mufflers. And if there are two Y pipes then that's not true duallies! But does the cost justify the means? In other words, If I'm going to spend +$500 bones on duallies, then I would want true duallies! Not just the look (and sound) of a dual exhaust that functions like a single. And it'll add weight to the vehicle.
I wonder what Midas(or some muffler shop) would charge for all this?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Most muffler shops probably already have the equipment for hangers and brackets (both shops I visited did).

When I got my cat-back Magnaflow dualies back in '05, I paid about $360 for the entire system and another $200 for the installation. An X/H pipe would've increased my costs into $700+ territory.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Mine was true Dual Exhaust, the X-Pipe hooked up to the Stock pipes and the mufflers I think I got for under $50 on EBay. I also did the instal myself on Jack stands and cut the original Y pipe with a Sawzall. Bought the extra Band Clamp from NAPA and the hangers and X from American Muscle. I did get the Left Over the Axle Pipe from Ford since I wanted OEM and not After Market but you can get it at any auto parts store.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Hey Spartan IV....Does Epona have any connection to Links horse? If so that's awesome! Back to the topic.....But do you guys have any drone? All that money put into an undesirable effect can, well, suck. Drone or not I will get true duallies someday. A tuner is for sure this year, duallies maybe next. CAI after that or inbetween somewhere(not very costly) and then I can pick up some hot chicos!!!!!!
Uhh do you know of any that live in Michigan?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

And I'm not going to 8mile for that! lol
Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Hey Spartan IV....Does Epona have any connection to Links horse? If so that's awesome! Back to the topic.....But do you guys have any drone? All that money put into an undesirable effect can, well, suck. Drone or not I will get true duallies someday. A tuner is for sure this year, duallies maybe next. CAI after that or inbetween somewhere(not very costly) and then I can pick up some hot chicos!!!!!!
Uhh do you know of any that live in Michigan?
I had no Drone with the GT500 mufflers on mine.
My 13 has Borla Touring on it and no drone either.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Lajos
I got the Pypes true dual conversion kit from AM, cost me $500 plus a $150 install! Sounds great!
Pypes are the low end of the quality ladder.
They wont last long before leaks develop.

Quick Reply: Conversion: single exhaust to dual