Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to Change out the Stock Speakers ?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Angry How to Change out the Stock Speakers ?

How do you get those d*** little covers of the screws to get the rear speakers out ?? 2012 base model

Anyone have a link to a Video ?

TIA
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

No one on here has replaced their rear speakers yet ??
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
sammm
1st Gear Member

Found this on another forum...hope it helps.

However, the rear speakers are a bit trickier. One must remove the rear plastic panels to either side of the seats (seats in collapsed position).

First, remove the "Mustang" sill plate (it just pulls right off - what I call "Lego" off) in order to take off the interior panels.

Next, you remove the 3 upholstery tacks holding each panel on, then one just pulls straight out and unhooks the plastic edge connected to the door frame. It just Legos off once you get the door edge off.

After that, remove the plastic upholstery tacks holding down the rear deck carpet and remove the carpet.

Finally, remove the screws holding down the stock speakers. Yes, they are a pain to get at, but not as bad as other cars I have worked with.

Install the new speakers and reinstall everything in reverse order.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM
lizardpocher

Don't change them...
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sammm
Found this on another forum...hope it helps.

Finally, remove the screws holding down the stock speakers. Yes, they are a pain to get at, but not as bad as other cars I have worked with.

Thank you Sammm!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 PM
sammm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Katmandu
Thank you Sammm!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by sammm
If you put the new speakers in from the BOTTOM, they will
be even easier to get out NEXT time.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM
SpiltPickle

Howdy everyone!

New mustang owner and new member here. I just replaced all 4 stock speakers in my 2013, but had a question I can't seem to find any reference to about the door sills.

Everything I see says to just pull them up.

Well... I did. And promptly broke off two of the plastic tabs holding the sill on to the car. There was also some double sided tape/foam holding the part that goes towards the outside of the car on.

There are plastic tabs extending from the sill down in to body clips encased in a blue rubber or silicone. These clips then go in to the metal of the car. Well those clips didn't pull out of the metal door frame, instead the plastic tabs broke off the sill leaving the clips in the car.

Anyone have any suggestions for removing the sills by actually pulling the clips out of the metal, not breaking the plastic out of the clip?
They're too far from the edge to get a standard body clip puller tool in there, plus the actual sill cover has a post that goes in to the rear inside body panel plastic which prevents you from getting a tool in there correctly I think.
Even with the sill off and direct access to the clip, it was a pain in the rear end to get it out of the metal.

I don't have any of my own pics, but there's a youtube video where someone did nearly the same thing as me and broke them as well. Here's a link to the exact spot where you can see them:

I'm not sure if this is was something new to the 2013's since I can't find any mention of them anywhere else. I have however seen pictures of 2010's with the sills off, and their clips are black instead of blue, and don't seem to break as easily.

My driver's side two rear clips are already broke, but I don't want to break any more for my passenger side. Also, my niece who has a 2013 as well is asking for help with hers. I'd really prefer not to break any more

Any tips?

Thanks!

-Dave
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
SpiltPickle

Woops, since it embedded the video, you can see the clips I'm talking about at the 3 minute and 29 second mark.

-Dave
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Moronix
1st Gear Member

Dude, why are you tearing your car apart? I love the sound of my radio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Change out the Stock Speakers ?