Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S197 V6, quick cruiser car?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have an '07 and the only issue I have had is with the paint bubbling on the underside of the hood. Had it fixed while it was still under warranty. Haven't had any leaks yet. Could be because I only drive on pretty days. So far, only 11k fun miles on my car.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

I have an '07 and i've only had two small issues. My t-stat housing went out at around 60k miles and had to replace that. Was a very easy fix and took all of 30 minutes. Second issue was a small water leak when I first got the car, which was fixed by cleaning out the grommet. I'm almost at 80k, and it's running strong.

My mom has an '07 vert with almost 100k miles and hasn't had any types of issues with it at all.

They are definitely fun cars to drive around in, and have a blast every time I go somewhere.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Must have been a manual trans

Pretty slick looking ride you had there

I wish I could afford a newer body style Sixxer, but the old body style reminds me so much of my 08 I had... I miss it!
Nope, Auto, but I do know how to manual shift it to use the RPM the best.
And Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I love my car. I've got an S197 v6 pony package with some slight mods here and there. It's a little lighter than the gt but the gt has its differences like more rigid sway bars, struts, etc. This only plays a minuet factor, but i've got lowering springs and its absolutely awesome for cruising and kicking it. I do sometimes wish I could have a little extra power and rigidity, but that seems to be more where the 2011 3.7L came in. It sure has its zippy factors, and I love getting up to higher speeds on freeways, because the car just cruises. I would just recommend a CAI and some springs; and if taking girls out is desired, I'd recommend struts (those bumps can feel a little awkward)
good luck, you won't be disappointed after catching a good deal.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2005 4.0 with CAI, Tune, and dual catbacks. How fast is fast enough? In Colorado where we lose 18% power because of altitude, Wot can invoke the traction control in 2nd.

At 100K, it is one of the most reliable cars I've owned. No leaks, no cooling problems. I say Go For It!

I hope this is useful.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't know what Matt is referring to on a leak in the engine bay - never heard such a thing or saw it on my 2006. He may be thinking about the leak that some people had - regardless of model - that went through the cowl and onto the smart junction box in the passenger side foot well. But that wasn't a 4.0 thing, it affected all models; although I never had the issue on mine.

As far as the plastic thermostat housing, seems to be "luck of the draw" on that. Mine lasted for 199,800 miles before it split, and that was after running it with nitrous and later a supercharger.

I sold it with 203,000 miles on it and had very few problems (thermostat housing at 199,800, the alternator at 175,900 miles). The new owner said he now has 211,000 miles on it and it is still running strong.

A CAI and tune will wake up the stock tuning for around town driving.
Bingo. This is what I was talking about just had a brain fart and couldn't explain it like I wanted to.

And I will say that I never drove a 4.0 so all my feedback was what my friend told me. Obviously there are alot of people on here that love the 4.0 and have plenty of good things to say about it.
Matthew
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
haha I remember your old GT from S/S a while ago, been so long since I've had a chance to get on there though... I bet that charger is doing work!

Everything on your list sounds good to me, but as far as headers, long tubes are the better performance bet, it's a noticeable difference from what one of my buddies tells me after he did the pacesetters LTs, he told me it got pretty loud/droney though, but he had some crappy flowmaster muffler on there, so I would bet that was more so the issue.

As far as the 07s having the water leak issue, it's not too common but there is a chance. Just keep an eye out, and check the floorboards for any water stains along the passenger side footwell and make double sure the stereo/lights/etc. all work correctly. And like Jim said, the t-stat housing issue is kind of random. I by no means baby my car and I have had no problems with mine so far, it's definitely not an issue that should worry you. Easy fix, and fairly cheap.

Hope to see you on the V6 boards soon!

lol yup.. I still hang out there in the SS forums

I miss my Mustang so much... I had to have another! I don't mind if it's not a fire-breather like my last one (Vortech supecharged @ 10 psi, 450-500whp!)

With a lot of power.. shiet breaks. I got tired of fixing things. My Charger only as about 340'ish awhp and it's already eating up driveshaft bolts!

Thanks for the heads up on the Long tubes. Not sure how things look under the hood, but I bet they are a lot easier to install than on a V8. Not one of my favorite jobs lol

Originally Posted by audioAl
I had an 09 premium and it was great for around town. 3.31:1 gear really helped. Bigger
gear would even be better. If it's a good deal I say go for it!
Thanks. Would 3.73's be pretty decent? I might throw a stall in there as well just for kicks. Nothing crazy, something like a 3000 stall. Not sure how you guys lock it up though in those transmissions. I know in the Charger, the TCM forces lock up in 2nd, making a 3500 stall a breeze to drive around town!

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
The Mustang is a bit heavy, however installing a CAI/custom tune will help make it a fun car to drive! Low end RPM is where the most power is generated.
Heavy? try 4289 lbs. and 4559lbs. I owned two Chargers, and they were both tanks! rofl

3540 or so is just about right and a lot lighter than my Chargers

CAI/tune are great mods.. first on the list if I do get one!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I have an '07 and the only issue I have had is with the paint bubbling on the underside of the hood. Had it fixed while it was still under warranty. Haven't had any leaks yet. Could be because I only drive on pretty days. So far, only 11k fun miles on my car.
11k miles?? I plan on only driving in the summer sun as well

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
I have an '07 and i've only had two small issues. My t-stat housing went out at around 60k miles and had to replace that. Was a very easy fix and took all of 30 minutes. Second issue was a small water leak when I first got the car, which was fixed by cleaning out the grommet. I'm almost at 80k, and it's running strong.

My mom has an '07 vert with almost 100k miles and hasn't had any types of issues with it at all.

They are definitely fun cars to drive around in, and have a blast every time I go somewhere.

at least they are an easy fix.. I thought I'd have a disaster on my hands lol

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Nope, Auto, but I do know how to manual shift it to use the RPM the best.
And Thanks
Noice

I am a fan of auto shifting as well!

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
I love my car. I've got an S197 v6 pony package with some slight mods here and there. It's a little lighter than the gt but the gt has its differences like more rigid sway bars, struts, etc. This only plays a minuet factor, but i've got lowering springs and its absolutely awesome for cruising and kicking it. I do sometimes wish I could have a little extra power and rigidity, but that seems to be more where the 2011 3.7L came in. It sure has its zippy factors, and I love getting up to higher speeds on freeways, because the car just cruises. I would just recommend a CAI and some springs; and if taking girls out is desired, I'd recommend struts (those bumps can feel a little awkward)
good luck, you won't be disappointed after catching a good deal.
Originally Posted by rbowmar
I have a 2005 4.0 with CAI, Tune, and dual catbacks. How fast is fast enough? In Colorado where we lose 18% power because of altitude, Wot can invoke the traction control in 2nd.

At 100K, it is one of the most reliable cars I've owned. No leaks, no cooling problems. I say Go For It!

I hope this is useful.

Thanks for the tips

I didn't even think about the differences in suspension

Ditto on the CAI/tune.. all of my cars have run those two exclusively and with great results!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Hey stealth GT, I do drive my car year around not just in the summer. The reason it only has 11K miles is I have 3 other vehicles (all 5.4L) that I drive during the week. The Mustang is my play toy.
It's nice to see you want to join the herd again.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Hey stealth GT, I do drive my car year around not just in the summer. The reason it only has 11K miles is I have 3 other vehicles (all 5.4L) that I drive during the week. The Mustang is my play toy.
It's nice to see you want to join the herd again.
Noice

Thanks for welcome back!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S197 V6, quick cruiser car?