Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exedy clutch review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default Exedy clutch review

Hey everyone: so my car was chosen by the awesome guys at Exedy to be the test mule for their new stage 1 clutch (I'm the only car in the world that has this clutch right now, that is pretty cool to say haha). Here are the specs according to Exedy:

stage 1 organic clutch kit with a solid mass replacement flywheel(22lbs). This set up is good for 307 Ft./Lb.(25% safety factor and a 20% assumed drive-line loss) Torque at the wheel or 383 ft./lb. of torque at the flywheel ( 480 ft./lb of torque at the flywheel with no safety factor)

So I should preface this in saying that I always thought my stock clutch was pretty heavy. As in as heavy as my dad's old terminator cobra that i learned to drive on. So my feeling as to how heavy the clutch is might be a little skewed. The first time they tried to install the clutch, they realized the flywheel was manufactured incorrectly, so instead they went and bought me a brand new clutch from Ford and installed it! I have to say that was pretty cool of them, and they gave me the clutch to keep afterward in case I don't want to live with the Exedy clutch. This new clutch from Ford seemed really light in comparison to my stock clutch. It honestly felt lighter than my DD SVT Focus clutch. But i really don't see me switching clutches, since I really enjoy the feel of this clutch. It feels like a performance clutch to me: its about as heavy as my 1st clutch, but the pedal travel seems less and it grabs A LOT faster than the stock. I haven't launched it hard yet, but I can just tell from regular starts that the car starts moving almost as soon as I let up on the clutch some. Also, the quick grab is awesome for heel-toe downshifting, it makes it really easy to grab at the RPM's I want. I went on a "spirited" drive on some backroads with some friends the other weekend, and the clutch performed flawlessly. Another thing i have noticed is that the transmission seems to make less rattling when at a standstill now. Now I'm not putting down much power (205 HP at the wheels, never got a TQ figure) so of course I'm not feeling any slipping or anything. But I plan on putting an X-charger on sometime in the future, so that will be the real test of the clutch. I do eventually want to swap in a 6-speed, but I'm sure i will be putting plenty of miles on the Exedy clutch before then.

So to sum it up: heavy clutch, grabs quick, feels like a performance clutch, and quiets the rattling in the tranny down some. I would also like to thank Steve at Exedy for giving me this clutch and for making the whole process really easy! So if anyone has any questions, or hell if you're in Houston and want to test it out, let me know!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
Hey everyone: so my car was chosen by the awesome guys at Exedy to be the test mule for their new stage 1 clutch (I'm the only car in the world that has this clutch right now, that is pretty cool to say haha). Here are the specs according to Exedy:

stage 1 organic clutch kit with a solid mass replacement flywheel(22lbs). This set up is good for 307 Ft./Lb.(25% safety factor and a 20% assumed drive-line loss) Torque at the wheel or 383 ft./lb. of torque at the flywheel ( 480 ft./lb of torque at the flywheel with no safety factor)

So I should preface this in saying that I always thought my stock clutch was pretty heavy. As in as heavy as my dad's old terminator cobra that i learned to drive on. So my feeling as to how heavy the clutch is might be a little skewed. The first time they tried to install the clutch, they realized the flywheel was manufactured incorrectly, so instead they went and bought me a brand new clutch from Ford and installed it! I have to say that was pretty cool of them, and they gave me the clutch to keep afterward in case I don't want to live with the Exedy clutch. This new clutch from Ford seemed really light in comparison to my stock clutch. It honestly felt lighter than my DD SVT Focus clutch. But i really don't see me switching clutches, since I really enjoy the feel of this clutch. It feels like a performance clutch to me: its about as heavy as my 1st clutch, but the pedal travel seems less and it grabs A LOT faster than the stock. I haven't launched it hard yet, but I can just tell from regular starts that the car starts moving almost as soon as I let up on the clutch some. Also, the quick grab is awesome for heel-toe downshifting, it makes it really easy to grab at the RPM's I want. I went on a "spirited" drive on some backroads with some friends the other weekend, and the clutch performed flawlessly. Another thing i have noticed is that the transmission seems to make less rattling when at a standstill now. Now I'm not putting down much power (205 HP at the wheels, never got a TQ figure) so of course I'm not feeling any slipping or anything. But I plan on putting an X-charger on sometime in the future, so that will be the real test of the clutch. I do eventually want to swap in a 6-speed, but I'm sure i will be putting plenty of miles on the Exedy clutch before then.

So to sum it up: heavy clutch, grabs quick, feels like a performance clutch, and quiets the rattling in the tranny down some. I would also like to thank Steve at Exedy for giving me this clutch and for making the whole process really easy! So if anyone has any questions, or hell if you're in Houston and want to test it out, let me know!
Hey man I am not sure how the clutch will feel much heavier or lighter then the stock one since its still a hydraulic clutch.... When I went from stock to a SPEC Stage 3+ it wasn't any heavier?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Hey man I am not sure how the clutch will feel much heavier or lighter then the stock one since its still a hydraulic clutch.... When I went from stock to a SPEC Stage 3+ it wasn't any heavier?
well im telling you there was a pretty damn big difference between this one and one exedy put in that they bought from ford. Steve can probably explain it when he gets on but i think it has to do with the flywheel. lets just say that i wanted to stop DDing my mustang in houston traffic with the original clutch, but when exedy put in the new clutch from ford i wouldve DDed it no problem. the exedy clutch tho is about as heavy as my original. just for reference, my commute takes about an hour and i only go 15 miles lol
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
well im telling you there was a pretty damn big difference between this one and one exedy put in that they bought from ford. Steve can probably explain it when he gets on but i think it has to do with the flywheel. lets just say that i wanted to stop DDing my mustang in houston traffic with the original clutch, but when exedy put in the new clutch from ford i wouldve DDed it no problem. the exedy clutch tho is about as heavy as my original. just for reference, my commute takes about an hour and i only go 15 miles lol
Well I know the pressure plate can be stiffer especially on a performance clutch but you generally don't feel much of a difference since its not cable. But maybe thats just my Spec clutch and its rated for 560tq.