Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI & Bama Tuner or Sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
young_mustang

Default CAI & Bama Tuner or Sound system

I need help deciding here guys, i know i dont post a lot, i just lurk and read a lot on here. Currently AM has the Memorial day sale and the JLT Next Generation CAI & SF3 Tuner (05-09 V6) is on sale for 579.99 (16%) but i also am in the military and get another 6% off so altogether is would be 22% off the $689.98 price and would end up being around $538. Ive read a lot of reviews on this set up, some say the difference is night and day with an automatic V6 and ive read some people say its not a lot of bang for your buck... So i am left wondering, should i get the CAI and tuner or just replace the shaker 500 system. If i replaced the Shaker system, i would get a double din head unit, amp(s), replace all speakers with aftermarket and a sub in the trunk. I really love blasting music on my drives and i hate how i cannot plug my iphone into my mustang currently. I would love to do both right now, but money is restricting that. I am just worried another deal on the CAI and tuner wont come around for a while and i can just get the sound system later.. The other thing is it's a v6 with no mods except a GT takeoff muffler. So i know i still wouldnt really compete with the GTs or other faster cars, but would love some more power. I am 19 in the military and on a budget but right now i can afford one or the other.. I would love for someone to chime in about the CAI and tuner and hear their opinion on if it is worth the $$$ or is it like other have said where it is not a lot of bang for your buck. Also if someone replaced their whole sound system i would love to hear if it was worth it and is the quality a lot better?

I am sorry if this seems like a dumb question to some, but i would really like some second opinions!

Thank you,

Haydn
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

If you like blasting your music when you drive I say go with the sound system, with the music playing out loud there's no need to have a CAI and tune on a V6 won't be able to hear your pipes anyway. Best thing to get more horses in a V6 motor would be to turbo it from what I've heard.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:26 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by young_mustang
I need help deciding here guys, i know i dont post a lot, i just lurk and read a lot on here. Currently AM has the Memorial day sale and the JLT Next Generation CAI & SF3 Tuner (05-09 V6) is on sale for 579.99 (16%) but i also am in the military and get another 6% off so altogether is would be 22% off the $689.98 price and would end up being around $538. Ive read a lot of reviews on this set up, some say the difference is night and day with an automatic V6 and ive read some people say its not a lot of bang for your buck... So i am left wondering, should i get the CAI and tuner or just replace the shaker 500 system. If i replaced the Shaker system, i would get a double din head unit, amp(s), replace all speakers with aftermarket and a sub in the trunk. I really love blasting music on my drives and i hate how i cannot plug my iphone into my mustang currently. I would love to do both right now, but money is restricting that. I am just worried another deal on the CAI and tuner wont come around for a while and i can just get the sound system later.. The other thing is it's a v6 with no mods except a GT takeoff muffler. So i know i still wouldnt really compete with the GTs or other faster cars, but would love some more power. I am 19 in the military and on a budget but right now i can afford one or the other.. I would love for someone to chime in about the CAI and tuner and hear their opinion on if it is worth the $$$ or is it like other have said where it is not a lot of bang for your buck. Also if someone replaced their whole sound system i would love to hear if it was worth it and is the quality a lot better?

I am sorry if this seems like a dumb question to some, but i would really like some second opinions!

Thank you,

Haydn
This really comes down to what you like more. A CAI & Tune will really wake your Sixxer up and will benefit you in a few different departments! Power, torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response and so much more.

A sound system will allow you to play your Music really loud. However, you'll probably sacrifice some power because of the added weight! This is just a few things to think about.

Best of luck with your decision. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Shiromar

I would definitely go with the CAI and tuner. The difference is night and day between stock and having those mods.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
young_mustang

Dan,

Thank you for the reply, i would really love to do both, but i might just be doing the tuner and CAI first because of the sale, and it seems less work for me then a sound system install. I just found out that AM is out of Malvern, PA. I actually bought my Mustang from an autoshop in Malvern. I am right outside Reading, I was wanting to drive up to see the facility and maybe look at some parts and talk to some experts, but wasnt sure if that is something you guys do, or something you would have to call about.

Shiromar, that's what multiple people have said, i am just worried i wont be satisfied, i am bone stock right now, and if this is what people say it is i cant wait to get the parts and tuner.

Thanks guys,

Haydn

Last edited by young_mustang; 05-23-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: redundant
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

you will be satisfied. i havent heard anyone dissapointed in the CAI+tuner combo, especially in autos. and it is easily the best bang for your buck mod before FI, but then your "buck" is significantly larger lol. your car will drive much better, especially since you cant row your own gears
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by young_mustang
Dan,

Thank you for the reply, i would really love to do both, but i might just be doing the tuner and CAI first because of the sale, and it seems less work for me then a sound system install. I just found out that AM is out of Malvern, PA. I actually bought my Mustang from an autoshop in Malvern. I am right outside Reading, I was wanting to drive up to see the facility and maybe look at some parts and talk to some experts, but wasnt sure if that is something you guys do, or something you would have to call about.

Shiromar, that's what multiple people have said, i am just worried i wont be satisfied, i am bone stock right now, and if this is what people say it is i cant wait to get the parts and tuner.

Thanks guys,

Haydn
We do have an on site walk in location where you could purchase parts for your Mustang. We're located at 7 Lee blvd in Malvern PA, you can walk in between 10AM - 4PM EST and we'll help you out!

-Dan
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

You can always upgrade the stereo a little at a time, and shop for the best bargain on each component. The tunes for life never get much cheaper......

Last edited by Joenpb; 05-25-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

I would get the CAI and the tunner. It's a great deal. Save for the stereo, and system. But then again it's up to you to decide what is more important to you. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Default Upgrade the Sound System

CAI and Tune will only get you a jump off the line and no gain in the 1/4 mile. Then with a tune, you might have to use 91+ Octane.
Only improvement on a 6 is a super charger. The S&B CAI does give me 3mpg more hwy driving, which was my purpose for installing.

Quick Reply: CAI & Bama Tuner or Sound system