Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Please help.. car is shaking as i drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Default Please help.. car is shaking as i drive?

I recently had plugs wires and coil installed on my mustang... ran great for a few months but today i pull into a gas station.. filled up started my car up and the rpms were going from .5k to 1.5k... car felt ****ty.. so i start driving and it felt terrible it was growling and giving me a hard time driving it.. so i finally drove it home in a storm doing 60 and the car was like giving me power and taking it away.. meaning i can see the rpms at 2k while going 50mph then dropping a little under then giving it back... doesnt make sense.. im upset because this is my daily.. someone please help me make sense of this.. any advice is much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Clean the throttle body. Basically go buy a can of this. To use it, let your car sit for maybe a half hour without the engine on to let it cool down. Then disconnect the things that are plugged into the throttle body and unscrew the 4 bolts holding it on. Remove it and spray the cleaner all around inside of it. Try to get it as clean as you can. Be careful not to scratch the inside of the TB with anything because it is coated and if you remove the coating, you're gonna have a bad time. It's super easy to do. Cleaning the TB seems to be the usual culprit of rough idles so this will probably fix it for you, and if it ends up being a different problem your car will still probably drive better.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Clean the throttle body. Basically go buy a can of this. To use it, let your car sit for maybe a half hour without the engine on to let it cool down. Then disconnect the things that are plugged into the throttle body and unscrew the 4 bolts holding it on. Remove it and spray the cleaner all around inside of it. Try to get it as clean as you can. Be careful not to scratch the inside of the TB with anything because it is coated and if you remove the coating, you're gonna have a bad time. It's super easy to do. Cleaning the TB seems to be the usual culprit of rough idles so this will probably fix it for you, and if it ends up being a different problem your car will still probably drive better.
Appreciate this advice very much... i hope a $5.00 can of spray and some elbow grease is the solving to my problem..
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Is it possible you got some bad gas? My wife's focus was giving her issues similar to yours but not as severe. I filled it up with some premium gas and threw a bottle of that Lucas gas treatment in. Drove it around for a bit and its been running fine ever since.

One more thing. You mentioned that it was storming. Double check the plug fittings to make sure they are on all the way.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by XEDES
Is it possible you got some bad gas? My wife's focus was giving her issues similar to yours but not as severe. I filled it up with some premium gas and threw a bottle of that Lucas gas treatment in. Drove it around for a bit and its been running fine ever since.

One more thing. You mentioned that it was storming. Double check the plug fittings to make sure they are on all the way.
Possibly the gas.. i did forget to mention that i was on E with the light on and arrived at the gas station and my car was driving fine.. once i filled up and started it up is when the issue occurred.. i drove it about 15 minutes to my house which i thought maybe it would get some gas in it and work fine but the check engine like was popping on and off as it sputtered like it got the problem then it went away but very quickly.. felt like a piece of garbage and i know i take care of this care and its the total opposite.. i always use gas treatments and change the filters and so forth.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Agree it sounds like you filled it with bad gas. Often happens if you fill up while or just after the station has filled up their tank. Filling the big tank stirs up all the crap that settles to the bottom and then it can get pumped up into your car before it settles back down. As suggested top it off with some good gas along with some fuel cleaner - Lucas, Seafoam, Techron are good. I'd change the fuel filter as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Agree it sounds like you filled it with bad gas. Often happens if you fill up while or just after the station has filled up their tank. Filling the big tank stirs up all the crap that settles to the bottom and then it can get pumped up into your car before it settles back down. As suggested top it off with some good gas along with some fuel cleaner - Lucas, Seafoam, Techron are good. I'd change the fuel filter as well.
I changed the fuel filter like 7k miles ago.. so its fresh.. and the one before it wasnt dirty at all anyway.. but i will deff but some techron to throw in there.. its filled though lol i filled the tank $48.00 so there no getting any premium in there lolol or is there?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Sounds like crap gas for sure. You could have changed the filter yesterday, the problem is how much crap is in there now. Its not always visible as it it gets stuck in the filter, plus it traps water which is a big part of the problem. You might even need to replace it a second time. When changing the filter you can drain off as much gas as you like but its a little awkward and messy to do. Siphoning is cleaner but hard to get started. It may run ok for a while once the contaminants settle in your tank but then it will start acting up again as they get stirred up while driving. In a worse case seanario the sock filter o the intank pump is clogged but that normally only happens if the car is old or there is actual dirt in your tank. Try draining off at least 5 gallons and adding 5 clean with the new filter and additive.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Sounds like crap gas for sure. You could have changed the filter yesterday, the problem is how much crap is in there now. Its not always visible as it it gets stuck in the filter, plus it traps water which is a big part of the problem. You might even need to replace it a second time. When changing the filter you can drain off as much gas as you like but its a little awkward and messy to do. Siphoning is cleaner but hard to get started. It may run ok for a while once the contaminants settle in your tank but then it will start acting up again as they get stirred up while driving. In a worse case seanario the sock filter o the intank pump is clogged but that normally only happens if the car is old or there is actual dirt in your tank. Try draining off at least 5 gallons and adding 5 clean with the new filter and additive.
The intake filter is fine i replace that every 2 oil changes.. i threw a techron in it last night so its been sitting in there hopefully mixed up a bit so when i do start it will push it through a bit.. Im cleaning the throttle body plate now.. looks gunked up behind the plate on some tube im guessing thats the entrance to the manifold but i dont no to much about engines.. i know its dirty back there so i actually have my buddy from ford pulling up to help me maybe pop the throttle off and clean back there.. hopefully we fix the problem.. Appreciate all the responses very much.. makes my nerves calm down a bit. Ill post back after to let everyone know what happens.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

So im prett upset right now.. guy said his engine reader thing wouldnt work id have to drop it off at his shop just to find out whats wrong with it.. he banged on the throttle body a bit and it started so he said it could be that.. but then it was idling rough still so he said it could be a vacume leak he said he wont know till he puts a reader on it.. so if im looking to buy a throttle body ssomeone please link me a stock one cheap price.. any other opions would be great..

Quick Reply: Please help.. car is shaking as i drive?