Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 2006 S197 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 AM
eleanordream

Exclamation V6 2006 S197 Transmission Problems

I bought my Mustang not to long ago. It is a 2006 S197 Automatic V6. My problem is that sometimes, not all the times though, when I would put it into reverse gear, it will wait, normally between 3 and 5 seconds before shifting, and as it shifts I get a hard, violent jerk. Afterwards though the car backs up perfectly fine and shifts into drive and shifts all 5 gears just fine. I want to know if it could just be my tranny filter, the fluid low, or something like the cylenoids or the torque converter, if anyone has an answer please get back to me quick!!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I have been dealing with this problem for a while. I have taken it to 5 different mechanics that I trust and not one of them could find an actual problem. I know there is something wrong, I just can't figure out what. I had my trans flushed and inspected twice since I got the car and nothing appeared to be wrong. All of the mechanics have said it's probably nothing to worry about but that doesn't help get rid of the problem.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If the o/d is flashing, you have a problem.
Usually the issues you describe are due to low fluid (it must be filled/level-checked when the car is warm and engine running).

Also, how many miles are on the trans? If it's under 75k, you're likely low on fluid. Over 100k, could be worn transmission. And it's possible the trans had issues and was sold that way.
The good news, you can usually find a good used replacement for far less then the cost of getting yours rebuilt. $300-600 is common. Then find a shop to replace it.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 AM
eleanordream

It has 97,000 miles, and im unsure if it were sold as such or not but i have had a few mechanics tell me it was trans fluid, but also around here 05-09 v6 trans' are 12-1900 plus labor but luckily dad is a mechanic so labor would be 0
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Mine does this too. Not often, but every now-and-then. you just 'know' when it will happen. I find if you turn while reversing, the problem is avoided. Same as if you are reversing down an incline. It used to bother me, but (knock on wood) I just turn while backing out [if I feel it hanging] and it transitions into reverse smoothly. Not a very scientific answer, but give it a try, you might be surprised!

I had my fluid/filter changed for the first time, per owners guide +/- 2000kms and the tech at Ford (neighboring speed shop specifically referred me to him) said everything looked fine and my fluid and filter could have gone much longer. Problem still persisted afterwards, until I tried the turn-and-reverse technique. Haven't had any issues really since.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Wow, I just came on here for this reason and I find this thread. My 06 is doing just this same thing. I bought it 2 months ago and I noticed this happening about a month ago. I work a ton of hours and just have not had any time to take it in to get checked up on. I bought it from a Chevy dealership which is where my maintenance warranty is. but I really want to take it to a Ford dealership. Anyways, I was figuring it needed a trans service. It has 107K on it and the previous owner ( One Owner Car)kept up on the regular maintenance real good. But I have not looked at the records to see if they had done this yet. But seeing that there are a few of us having this same problem. It might be something normal as these cars age. I hope so because I sure as hell do not want to be buying a transmission. I will have to let the car sit for quite a wile then.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM
eleanordream

I'll definately have to try that out man, this has been annoying me since the second day i had this car, and I could'nt bring it back because it was as is where is. So hopefully it'll help me out until I either can get a new trans without the problem or just buy a new 5.0 which I have literally been drooling over, lol.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
eleanordream

Originally Posted by drfister
Mine does this too. Not often, but every now-and-then. you just 'know' when it will happen. I find if you turn while reversing, the problem is avoided. Same as if you are reversing down an incline. It used to bother me, but (knock on wood) I just turn while backing out [if I feel it hanging] and it transitions into reverse smoothly. Not a very scientific answer, but give it a try, you might be surprised!

I had my fluid/filter changed for the first time, per owners guide +/- 2000kms and the tech at Ford (neighboring speed shop specifically referred me to him) said everything looked fine and my fluid and filter could have gone much longer. Problem still persisted afterwards, until I tried the turn-and-reverse technique. Haven't had any issues really since.
Hey man that turning the wheel when you reverse actually works. I felt it hanging bad and I knew it was gonna be one of the hard knocks, but I turned the wheel and I waited, let off the breaks and it started backing up, never even felt it shift, I was surprised! So thanks man so much! It really helped out and I can't be happier until I actually get a new tranny or a new Mustang all together!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2006 auto and it was doing the same thing at 60,000 mi. I believe it is a defective part in the transmission. I took it to dealership, and they had to rebuild the transmission. It will get worse and start to shift funny while in drive. Nothing to do with fluid levels or flushes. I believe there is a service bulletin on this one.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

I just talked to one of the service writers at the ford dealership up the road from me. He did not know anything about a regular problem like this or any service bulletins. But he did tell me that he had the same problem with his 06 Explorer which I do believe that has the same trans in it. He asked me how much it happens. It is not happening too often for ne....YET. He told me that I should unfortunately wait. That it was going to cost me $160.00 for them to diagnose it and if it does not do it for them. I will be wasting time and money. He went through it. He told me to wait till it gets more frequent...and it will. The bring it in. For him it needed a new valve body. But he has also seen it be just a reprogram of the computer control.
The thing that sucks for me is that now I am locked into this car for 3 years of payments that I started 2 months ago, and I am back to where I was. Not having a car I trust but now I have payments. My daughter and I were looking forward to going on a road trip because we never could before. I did not ever have reliable transportation. Well I guess I will be renting cars for trips until what is looking like will be my TRUE reliable car, is finished. My 72 Chevelle wagon. I will be finished with that in a few months and it will be all new under it from radiator to tail pipe.

Quick Reply: V6 2006 S197 Transmission Problems