Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can't decide which performance mods to do.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 AM
retrosix

Default Can't decide which performance mods to do.

Hey guys,

Just got my stang about 2 weeks ago. I'm the proud owner of an 05 V6, auto trans, mineral gray, dark charcoal, interior upgrade, sport apperance, 17 inch bullitt wheels and GT grille w/foglights. its badass.

I love everything about it except for one thing. The spec sheet may say 210 hp, but we all know thats flywheel stats not rwhp. Now while this is a lot peppier that my 98 nissan altima, I crave performance. God knows I lusted after the GT, but the insurance for an 18 year old driver on that thing was ridiculous.

Heres my question. My car will do 0-60 in approx 7 seconds, its all stock. What will realistically take me down to the 6.0 range? Its not even really horsepower that i care about, its just the low end torque. I suppose i'll do the standard stuff to it, like a K&N CAI, SCT Xcal2, front and rear anti sway bars, and Magnaflow exhaust (i'll probably do the single because i don't want to waste cash on getting a GT bumber or cutting the bumper to make it look right). What can i do to drastically increase that low end torque? 4.0 liters should be enough displacement to produce big torque. My car already looks the way i want it to, now it just needs to move the way i want it to.

I don't have a high budget, but i'm not cheap. I want to do this thing right.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Can't decide which performance mods to do.

Welcome to the board! And, congrats on the new ride!

Gears and pulleys (when they're out) are a couple more bolt-on options that'll get ya down to the quik-e-mart a bit faster.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend dual exhaust, new tune, and a CAI. These mods would definetly get you close to your 6 sec. goal.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Ok to get down ito the 6s you will have to do some work. Now since you don't want a dual exhaust system the best thing you can do is see about buying high flow cats and a mufler, you won't get but maybe a 5 rwhp gain by doing this, but you will be able to breath a little better. I still say go with a true dual exhaust system to allow for maximum performance, but thats up to you. You will need a handheld tuner as you said you would get. Other add ons should be a pulley kit, a cai, high flow MAF housing, maybe a high flow throttle body, and 4.10: gears with a T-lok. Do all of these mods and you should be hitting in the 6s all day long. I don't think you are in the low 7s as advertised since you have an automattic, but you are deffinitely in the high sevens.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Hey Jthorn9,

Thanks for all the good posts! Quick quesiton, when you say high flow MAF housing...I assume you mean the tube. I have the stock MAF tube....and it is huge....serveral local friends of mine (one has a cobra, the other a insane modded 5.0) said the MAF tube on the 05s is huge, and I wouldn't see a gain from replacing it, and to stick with a stage 1 CAI kit.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Hey Jthorn9,

Thanks for all the good posts! Quick quesiton, when you say high flow MAF housing...I assume you mean the tube. I have the stock MAF tube....and it is huge....serveral local friends of mine (one has a cobra, the other a insane modded 5.0) said the MAF tube on the 05s is huge, and I wouldn't see a gain from replacing it, and to stick with a stage 1 CAI kit.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I agree with pretty much every thing JT had to say... just a little different spin on things...

First thing you should really pick up is a hand held tuner... I prefer the SCT X-Cal2... This alone will make a night and day difference in your car! This will remove those torque limiters and get rid of that throttle hesitation. I've been recommending Alternative Auto's tune. (www.alternativeauto.com). Lidio's tune is incredible... Especially if you ask him to set the shift firmness to "Barbaric" LOL!!! I did not buy my orignal tunes from him... I bought them from another highly respect dealer... Lidio's tune however shave .25 off my 0-60.. that was with his 89 Octane tune vs the other guys 93 Octane tune! Lidio's was just a better, more complete tune...

As far as the rest... if you really want quick off the line, stop light to stop light, I don't car how my RPMs are on the highway, then get a set of 4.10s.... and while you're in there put in a T-Lok so you can get two lines of rubber when you take off! LOL! If however you do a lot of highway driving (like 80MPH) you might find the 3.73 a better choice..

As far a CAI... If you going to get one make sure you get one as part of a package deal with a Tune... while all these companies claim their CAI doesn't require a tune, you need to be careful... I have the MMR intake with tube. MMR said "No tune required"... I even ask them twice!!! Ok... so we start doing some datalogging. Here is what we found was going on. Due to the new MAF housing and stuff the computer was actually thinking the car was flowing LESS air than stock! So what in effect this did was lean the car out! Not exactly what you would hope would happen! That's how the CAI was making power with no tune! We ended up having to add like 18% more fuel to compensate! I got the feeling that's how a lot of these CAI make their claimed power...

Getting rid of the stock muffler is also a good move... there is however no advanatage performance wise in going to a dual at this level...

All of that is a big step in the right direction... but I don't think it will quite get you to 6.0... maybe more like 6.2 or 6.3.. but it will definitely feel like a completey different car! LOL!

To get below 6.0 at a very reasonable cost ($600) you can look into the Zex Nitrous GT kit... works perfectly on the V6... hehehehe...
Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

[sm=bustedsign.gif] I am still not to familiar with all of the small features like the MAF size on the 05-06, so I was assuming that Ford put a small MAF housing on the car like they did with the 94-04s. Since I don't know for sure your MAF size if you ever get a little free time measure your MAF. My stock MAF was 70mm, I have since upgraded to a 73mm, and will soon jump up to a 80mm. But if you say it's big I would assume that its an 80mm MAF. In that case adding a larger, let's say 90mm, wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot on a V6 with just basic bolt ons. So your friend is right, your stock MAF would probably do just as it is. Oh, yes I am refering to the tube.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Its cool!!!!! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Ok, took out the tape measure....and it is 75mm. But I measured it at the CAI, not at the throttle body. But it appears the diameter of it is consistant all the way to the TB. So......looks like a 90mm TB and MAF housing will have to be added to my 3 year list of mods!!! No use going to 80 at this point.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:06 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Just remember that when you change out your throttle body and your MAF that your ait intake slowly gets narrower as it approches the intake manifold. I would suggest either an 80 or a 90mm MAF housing if the 90 will fit. Now as far as your throttle body goes I'm not sure of your size. I'm guessing either 65 or 70mm, that's just a guess. When you buy a throttle body make sure you get one for the V6, the V8s won't work. You may have to get a high flow version of what you already have. For example, my stock throttle body was 56mm in diameter, now I couldn't mount a 70mm on my car due to the damn way Ford designed my intake manifold, in other words the mounting was a slightly different design than on the 99-04s which the 70mm fits, anyway I had to buy a high flow 56mm throttle body. Same diameter, but the valve inside the trottle body that allows air into the engine was almost 10mm wider. In other words same outlet size, but different inlet size. I doubt this is like this on your year, but not sure, that's why I said this to let you know that there is a difference between stock throttle bodies and high flow of the same size.