Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to look for in a used V6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM
joerockt

Default What to look for in a used V6?

Hi guys. Could anyone tell me what to look for in a used V6 Convertible? I've got my eye on a 2008 Deluxe manual transmission with about 89000 miles on it. Just wondering what kind of mechanical issues I should look out for. Of course the clutch is probably the #1 thing, so I'll be looking for slippage there, but any engine and soft top mechanical issues that I should be aware of would be great to know.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

There are a few things that come to mind. First is that the thermostat housing is plastic and known to break and cause issues with overheating. Second is bad seams/seals around the windshield I believe that causes water to enter into the cabin, passanger side floorboard. Besides that the 4.0 engines have been good engines.

I would do a car fax and see what the car has spent most of its life. If it is from Cali you wont have to worry about rust as much as if it were from a colder state.

Oh and price on the car?
Matthew
Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM
joerockt

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
There are a few things that come to mind. First is that the thermostat housing is plastic and known to break and cause issues with overheating. Second is bad seams/seals around the windshield I believe that causes water to enter into the cabin, passanger side floorboard. Besides that the 4.0 engines have been good engines.

I would do a car fax and see what the car has spent most of its life. If it is from Cali you wont have to worry about rust as much as if it were from a colder state.

Oh and price on the car?
Matthew
Exactly the type of things I was looking for. Thanks Matt!

They are asking $9750 for it, but was hoping to get it for $8000 cash. Think that's reasonable?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Get familiar with the TSB's associated with these S197's. Although most of them pertain to '05 thru '07, some applied to later years.

As far as the chronic t-stat housing cracks, that's almost one of those things to simply be prepared for. You'll find a lot of info about leaks from that darned PLASTIC housing. Other than that and the TSB stuff, these S197's are fairly hardy cars.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

My thermostat housing went as soon as I bought it! I had it towed back to the dealer and basically told them to fix it and do a full service or I was going to cancel the deal.

The only other things I've had on mine in the last year was the clutch master cylinder's trunnion (also plastic) split in half and the drain plugs under the cowl got clogged up.

Other than that, it's been great. If you're used to RWD V8s, I'd suggest waiting/saving for a V8, but if it's your first RWD car, it's a load of fun. I'm not sure about any convertible issues as I went with a coupe.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

TSBs.
And if a faulty $22 thermostat housing is weaning you away from the S197,
then the stang is not for you. If you look at the problem as a way to get to
know your new stang by replacing it yourself then the S197 is for you.
Mine started leaking so I loosened up the radiator cap to keep the
pressure at atmosphere and bought a new thermo housing but the leak stopped
when not under pressure and the coolant temps are as normal so in
the box the new housing sits. Go figure...

But if it has the dreaded water leak
(pull pass door sill, look for under carpet water stains)
avoid it like the plague it is.
Overly perfume sweetened interiors of used stangs are
usually to get rid of the mold smell from the water intrusion over the years.

Last edited by 157dB; 11-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Buy mine! X-Charged intercooled badness!