Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford Navigation

I was out on eBay a few weeks ago, and ran across a factory Navigation unit from an 08-09 Mercury Sable. It had a starting bid of $50. I sat on it and won the auction for $50. $10 for shipping. The add was poorly written, so I took a chance. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion it would work in my 07 v6. It works so nice.

I now have full Navigation, touch screen and functioning goodies. I bought one of the SYNC add on kits last spring also, and after letting it collect dust decided to try it today. Since I got a radio from a SYNC car, that was a plus from the start. I only had to use a USED control module for 42 off eBay. I had to wait for it to get here, and it finally did today. It's used, so it's already set up and programmed. It made it plug and play in my Mustang. The microphone works and all. I'm quite happy with the overall install. I only have one slight problem that I certainly can and will live with. It starts up with a Mercury Logo. Damn the luck. lol

I have 60 in the radio with postage, 44 in the SYNC kit, 13 in a GPS antenna, (already had the odd ball antenna connector from the Shaker 500), and it came with the 7P navigation disc. I also paid $115 for a 2013 Boss Alcantra wheel this spring, another 21 for the correct left side switch (had the square track pack cluster switch). I used a set of wired push on connectors to make the radio controls work. Overall, I have less than $300 invested, for a factory Nav unit, with WORKING SYNC system and functioning Boss steering wheel and working controls. And they said it couldn't work. It took me all summer to find all the parts, but I did. The old DVD system is going into my Explorer for my Grandson to keep him amused. lol

The radio head I used, with all open signals was, 8G1T-18K931-EA. This is for the Sables/Taurus's, 2008-9 (late design 08). This radio has sync, navigation, and touch screen capabilities, and bright trim. I used the infamous 9R3Z-14212-A SYNC add on kit, a wire to #18 and one to #19 pinouts on the back of the radio (radio controls for the steering wheel). A couple single terminal wire connectors to pin into the clockspring for radio controls on both openings, rather than buying 2 WPT-440's. Too costly for what you get. (IMO)

It was harder to do in my mind than to do the actual job. I looked for quite a while for a good priced head (haven't we all, lol). I knew the number I needed , and it was just a matter of finding one I could afford. I have an aftermarket Itech and Pioneer, but wanted it to be all factory. I hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this swap. It was a fun mod to figure out. That finishes the interior (until something else comes along) lol.

Last edited by akdoggie; 11-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 AM
phantom24
1st Gear Member

Do you think this same set up would work for a 2011 V6? I have only a factory basic system and steering wheel.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Damn! Good job OP. People are spending upwords of 1k, 1.5k to add OEM navi to their cars and here you did it (with a GT500 wheel) for less than $500. Good for you.

And Phantom24 there is a very slim chance (none really) that you could do the same with your '11 as the radio bezel design is different and I am sure the radio harness changed too. You can add OEM navi to your ride but you will have to get a unit out of a '10+ Mustang. There is a right up here:
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...em-nav-516988/
but like I said you will be spending around 1.5k for all the parts.

Matthew
Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I did a write up on installing the audio controls to a 2013 Mustang Boss steering wheel, in our 2005-09 Mustangs. It is too big to load up for this site. It is over 50MB of info and pictures. If anyone wants a copy, and can open a MsWord application, PM your email address and I will send it via email.

It shows how to install the internal wiring for audio controls on the wheel and into the ACM harness and the cruise control. It also has a small end section for installing the SYNC kit also on these cars. Give me a little time and I will post each night to whomever wants the information.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by phantom24
Do you think this same set up would work for a 2011 V6? I have only a factory basic system and steering wheel.
American Muscle has a Raxiom after market touch screen system that has really good reviews, they are almost always out of stock though due to popularity, I happened to snag one last week on order I'm getting it Monday by UPS, I'll let you know how it is when it's installed..it even comes with a back up camera.