MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   06 Mustang upgrades? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/70447-06-mustang-upgrades.html)

Sancho805 10-11-2005 06:27 AM

06 Mustang upgrades?

Sup all....i been reading this forum for several weeks and i finally purchased an 06 Mustang 4.0 (premium, black clearcoat, dark charcoal interior) 2 weeks ago so now i feel worthy of joining the forum.......i'm really excited with my car and very anxious to upgrade it with the basic mods. Basically my question to anybody is if the 05 model parts are compatible with the 06 model. i notice that many of the mods from dealers are for the 05 4.0L and dont have much listed for the 06, if anything at all. i was interested in a CAI and exhaust for starters. i would like to get a little more pep out of my car and found that these two upgrades along with a throttle body spacer worked out very nicley on my 98 2.5L Ranger. my ranger has a k&n filter, flowmaster exhaust and poweraid throttle body spacer. i'm looking to go with the same brands and products for my mustang but will go with whatever is best or recommended (i would really appreciate info on what products will be compatible with the 06 4.0L). One more thing.....i live in California and notice that many CAI's are listed as not street legal here. What problems will i run into if go ahead and install a CAI anyways? any feedback would be awesome.....thanks much....Great FORUM!!

jthorn9 10-11-2005 09:54 AM

RE: 06 Mustang upgrades?

Well dude an 05 part is an 06 part. I'm still learning a few things about the new stang, but I do know that Ford did not make any changes to mounting or part size under the hood. The only difference between the 05 and 06 is that the 06 has a slightly low msrp and that you can now get the 06 with the GT package. I hate to tell you, but throttle body spacers don't do much if anything as far as performance goes, if I were you I would forget the trottle body spacer and buy a pulley kit, or start to save up for a hand held tuner, but that's up to you, hope you like your new ride, and welcome the the V6 brother hood.

burdweiser 10-11-2005 11:18 AM

welcome aboard Sancho805. I would start off by ordering some Magnaflows or Flowmasters online. If you have the tools and time, that is a good first upgrade. I have dual Magnaflows and love'em! There are several parts you can look for on ebay or on some of the sponsored links here on this web site.
Also, when do we get to see some pictures? [sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Sancho805 10-11-2005 02:53 PM

thanks for the info (i guess i'm gonna go with CAI, Tuner, & Exhaust for starters)....what tuner do you recommend and what CAI?......will i have a problem with the CAI since i live in California?.....i'm not interested if i'm going to have to pull it off for whatever lame reason.....thanks again!......oh yeah, i'll post some pics later today after work.

jthorn9 10-11-2005 10:15 PM

As far as tuners go both the Xcal and predator are great units, me I did the predator thing, but once again its up to you. Now as far as a cai goes no cai unit is really that much better than another despite what they advertise. You might want to look for a kit that is cheap, since all cais do exactly the same thing by removing the stock airbox housing, removing the paper air filter and the wire MAF filter, one that has a heat shield, and most importantly one that has an excellent air filter, I reccommend a K&N filter. Now I don't know about the 05&06 stangs, but ebay has some good deals on cais, so go check them out. If you find one make sure it looks like it is made out of good material and read the feedback to make sure nobody is having any problems.

Sancho805 10-12-2005 02:12 AM

Cool.....ima start researching and shopping.....thanks

MustangScott 10-12-2005 12:46 PM

I'm not talking from experience, but from a little research. Keep your stock airbox and tube. I think your first smog comes at the 5 yr mark, then every 2 years after. Hang on to the stock parts or find a "special" smog guy. Charge ya 150 or so under the counter and he gives you a nice prefabbed smog sheet :) But exhaust shouldnt do much against ya. Intake will on the otherhand. You could possibly got hooked up with a carb sticker. . . but i'm not sure.

jthorn9 10-13-2005 09:06 AM

I think this only applies to you if you live in California, I don't know of any other states that do that, but in Louisiana, we are not smog tested.

MustangScott 10-13-2005 01:01 PM

Man i needa get my car registered back home. I'm military stationed in cally, but from new orleans. I wanna get that LA registration. Yank my CAT's get my headers, my cylander heads, all kinda shizzle.

Sancho805 10-13-2005 04:12 PM

yeah....thats what sucks about cali......too many restrictions cuz of too many vehicles......even people's pets have cars here...haha