Winter Oil Change - MustangForums.com

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 AM   #1  
AmericanMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Winter Oil Change

My 06 v6 has 450 miles on it - I'm planning on storing it for the winter early December. My question is, should I replace the oil before I store the car? Or wait till spring? I probably won't exceed 700 miles before then.
AmericanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #2  
fso119
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Winter Oil Change

Could wait until you get 5000 miles on it regardless of storage. You should if possible start the car up and let it run until it warms up at least once a week during its winter slumber. This will keep the engine lubed up and battery charged.

When you do start it up, make sure you're in a well ventilated place. You don't want to go into a slumber yourself.[:@]
fso119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #3  
SonicV6

You'll want to change out your oil before storing it. The oil that is in it now is already contaminated. aren't you being a little premature about the storing thing??
SonicV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #4  
1200bruce
1st Gear Member

Yep drive it for "awhile" and get it up to temp, then change the oil and it should be good to go! Don't forget to treat the gas before storing it for the winter.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:18 AM   #5  
AmericanMuscle
1st Gear Member

I won't be storing the car till late December.. or atleast until we've had some heavy snow. So other then running the engine once per week (for how long? I've read up to half an hour?), changing the oil prior to storing, and curing the gas (what do I need to do to it) is that it?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:10 AM   #6  
AmericanMuscle
1st Gear Member

Bump, anyone?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #7  
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

There isnt enough miles on the car to change it yet IMO. Oil is a product that wears out/breaks down with use. Yours isnt used up yet. I always change mine on mileage intervals. My Mustang is a daily driver and I drive it under 10K miles per year and its going to get 2 Oil chages per year.

Also on another Oil change note I just did mine last week. What a PITA! I have owed many Ford vehicles over the last 10 years. Our last one we traded in was an Expedition in March. Ford was real smart and put a remote pickup that the filter screwed into right under the left side bumper by the wheel well. Very smart and very convenient. The wife replaced the Expedition with a Ford Freestyle. Same thing real easy to get to the Oil filter for changes on the Freestyle. Now the Mustang is lower to the ground and I fully expected to have to jack it up to get the Oil drain plug out. But then to get to the filter you have to go way up under the motor to get to it. Very hard to get the Oil Filter wrench on it without taking off the right front tire. They didnt do a very good design job on its location IMO.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote