Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 V6 manual convertible - tell me the good/bad/ugly

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM
xocolleenox
1st Gear Member

I'm sure someone on here's done a quick write up about it but this was the first one on Google and it shows you everything.
Evil clogging grommet.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:03 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xocolleenox
I'm sure someone on here's done a quick write up about it but this was the first one on Google and it shows you everything.
Evil clogging grommet.
Good/detailed write up right there.

I would say that after you check out the cabin air filter, and possibly change it, you don't need to take anything off to get to that grommet. I usually go through the engine bay and take the grommet out from the bottom, clean it out and then put it back. Haven't had a problem with it yet. Saves a little bit of time from pulling off those cowls.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents, since I currently have a 2006 convertible (GT, though), and have owned numerous mustangs (6, to be exact) as well as camaros, CTS-V's etc. over the years.

First and foremost, the 2006 V6 convertible is a great, fun car. If you WANT a convertible for the nice days, and don't mind a tiny trunk or that this is not a high performance sports car, then go for it.

If you want a real drivers car to carve through canyon roads at illegal speeds or take to the track, then you are looking at the wrong car.

The coupe supporters here are correct; the convertible does NOT handle as well as the coupe. Also, the V6 version with the standard suspension does not handle as well as the GT. But it will ride more nicely on bumpy roads.

But, to be honest (and here is where I will get flamed) ANY stock 2006 mustang, GT or otherwise, is not a high performance handling machine. With the live rear axle and other chassis limitations, there are many cars out there, for comparable money, that will handle better.

But they are not mustangs. The 2006 V6 verts are nice vehicles and possibly great values, as long as your expectations are reasonable.

PS: The "new" (2011+?) V6 engines are supposedly vastly superior (in terms of power, smoothness, and possibly fuel economy) than the previous 4.0 liter engines......
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 PM
terpheels

Appreciate the link to the grommet...looks ez enuff once u locate it the 1st time. I am not looking for a performance car at all, just something that drives better and consumes less fuel than a 2k Excursion. I was hoping to hear at least 27 hwy (at 65 or less) with the manual trans. I also have a place in VA and NC on the ocean and figure it would be fun to have a convertible.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
xocolleenox
1st Gear Member

I can't say you will see 27 but I've gotten mid 20's in my GT so I don't see why that would be a ridiculous number to aim for when on the highway at the right speed.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Yeah if I try to hypermile on the highway with my GT (5 speed) I can average 25-26. I have gotten 27 on a couple of 100+ mile runs (downhill, tailwind, etc)

And...you certainly don't have too look to hard to find a vehicle that drives better and consumes less fuel than an excursion....LOL.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 AM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

I have a 2005 vert 5 speed

I don't find it is clunky (the trans) I have nothing bad to say about the car really. it hugs the road pretty good but i did upgrade the springs to roush and added the rear sway bar to it, I got everything for around 300 bucks and installed it(new springs used sway bar) . It is decent on fuel if you drive it like its meant to be driven I can usually get 28-29 mpg out of it running 65mph I have a cold air intake on it and have a sct tuner on it with Bama tuning (much better throttle responce)

I have driven the gt coupe and ya they handle much nicer and go much better .. But I wasnt looking for a performance car i was looking for a nice weekend cruising car that got good mileage and looked nice and was topless .. LOL

I know how you feel my daily driver is a 99 superduty 7.3L 6 speed not the best on fuel lol
Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

ofc if u just want it for it's drophead then go for it
i'de never own a v6 non vert..not a chance.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 AM
terpheels

I know how you feel my daily driver is a 99 superduty 7.3L 6 speed not the best on fuel
Hey my 7.3 has 243k miles, original trans, and just had to replace the glow plugs but that has been it. I will never get
Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 AM
terpheels

Now to finish what I was typing...rid of it but I want to park it and keep it just for towing purposes.

I drove a couple V6 last night and it drove awesome but it was an auto. I gotta have a stick.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 V6 manual convertible - tell me the good/bad/ugly-0903131700a.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2006 V6 manual convertible - tell me the good/bad/ugly