Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axle back Muffler help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM
JRandall

Default Axle back Muffler help

I am needing some help with choosing an axle back exhaust. I have a true dual exhaust with pacesetter long tube headers into a off road H-pipe with no catalytic converters. I had straight pipe exhaust tip and my v6 sounded amazing. However my HOA believed it was "obnoxiously loud". So I replaced them with stock gt mufflers and now I sound like a rice burner. I looking at new axle backs mufflers for a deep sounding exhaust. So should I get chambered axle backs like MACs or Borlas or would it sound the same like I have it now?

Last edited by JRandall; 03-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRandall
I am needing some help with choosing an axle back exhaust. I have a true dual exhaust with pacesetter long tube headers into a off road H-pipe with no catalytic converters. I had straight pipe exhaust tip and my v6 sounded amazing. However my HOA believed it was "obnoxiously loud". So I replaced them with stock gt mufflers and now I sound like a rice burner. I looking at new axle backs mufflers for a deep sounding exhaust. So should I get chambered axle backs like MACs or Borlas or would it sound the same like I have it now?
Macs are LOUD! and they do drone around 2100 rpms and up, I love them at idle, cruising around town, and when getting on it, but highway traveling the drone can be annoying, also I still have my cats, so I can only assume that they will be much louder and more raspier with your set up.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

I have the MAC system on my six, and love it. Had the same system on my 05 and would not have any other. At highway speed there is drone, but it's a loud exhaust it's supposed too.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM
JRandall

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
Macs are LOUD! and they do drone around 2100 rpms and up, I love them at idle, cruising around town, and when getting on it, but highway traveling the drone can be annoying, also I still have my cats, so I can only assume that they will be much louder and more raspier with your set up.
Yeah my original setup was crazy loud. Some GT owners didn't believe I had a v6 until I popped my hood. The only thing I'm worried about is it will sound like the stock GT mufflers I have on now. It gets loud but it isn't deep and literally sounds like a import.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:04 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Yeah my original setup was crazy loud. Some GT owners didn't believe I had a v6 until I popped my hood. The only thing I'm worried about is it will sound like the stock GT mufflers I have on now. It gets loud but it isn't deep and literally sounds like a import.
I had gt take offs before the Macs, it's night and day!!! Macs are much louder and deeper than gt take offs, The muffler design and the 4" tips make it deep and loud.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I was thinking about some new mufflers recently too, the GT takeoffs are a bit too quiet for me now. But I'd rather not have the MACs, is there anything that fills the gap? Maybe something at the halfway point in terms of loudness and drone?

Borlas seem a bit pricey, but if that's the only option...
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 PM
JRandall

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
I had gt take offs before the Macs, it's night and day!!! Macs are much louder and deeper than gt take offs, The muffler design and the 4" tips make it deep and loud.
Are GT take offs like muffler deletes?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM
JRandall

Where is a good place to buy some Macs at a cheaper cost than $369
Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Are GT take offs like muffler deletes?
no they are the mufflers off a mustang gt
Where is a good place to buy some Macs at a cheaper cost than $369
I bought mine from a sponsor on this web site (American Muscle) you can asked for the forum member discount code, I believe I paid $349
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I was thinking about some new mufflers recently too, the GT takeoffs are a bit too quiet for me now. But I'd rather not have the MACs, is there anything that fills the gap? Maybe something at the halfway point in terms of loudness and drone?

Borlas seem a bit pricey, but if that's the only option...
flowmasters sound pretty good, my buddy has them, he didnt go faster than 75mph, but the was no noticeable drone, they are louder than the gt take offs, but not as loud as macs

Quick Reply: Axle back Muffler help