MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   if you want to keep your warranty dont use a programmer! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/71596-if-you-want-to-keep-your-warranty-dont-use-a-programmer.html)

smoker40 10-18-2005 11:34 AM

if you want to keep your warranty dont use a programmer!

i spoke to the people at alternative auto and a few other reputable places.was told dont use a programmer if i want to keep my warranty.thopught some people with the 7 year warranty like me would want to know.im glad my wife bought me the car but could shoot her for getting the extended warranty [sm=badidea.gif]

Jim Smyth 10-18-2005 11:57 AM

RE: if you want to keep your warranty dont use a programmer!

I have always been one not to worry about warranty stuff and just do what I want to do since I own the car anyway. If you get a programmer, I got the SCT2, it stores your orginal program into the SCT2 unit first before it uploads the new program in. If you are that worried about it, if/when you have to take it back in for warranty work, just change it back to its orgianl settings.

scrming 10-18-2005 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: smoker40

i spoke to the people at alternative auto and a few other reputable places.was told dont use a programmer if i want to keep my warranty.thopught some people with the 7 year warranty like me would want to know.im glad my wife bought me the car but could shoot her for getting the extended warranty [sm=badidea.gif]
extended warrantys can be canceled... just a thought...

burdweiser 10-18-2005 01:21 PM

You can always cash in your extended waranty. I did that on my last vehicle.
Like Jim said, I will just return my car to stock (when I decide on which tuner I want to get). I have the extended waranty on my current mustang, but I'm not worried about the tuner thing.

smoker40 10-18-2005 03:44 PM

i was told by the shops even if you change it back to factory settings the dealer can tell.and how do i cash in my extended warranty

angcobra 10-18-2005 03:51 PM

They can tell by reading the number of times the computer has been flashed.

i was told by the shops even if you change it back to factory settings the dealer can tell.and how do i cash in my extended warranty

burdweiser 10-18-2005 04:02 PM

just call your dealership and tell them you want to cash in the extended waranty. They should tell you who to talk to. On my last vehicle, it took about a month to receive the refund check for my extended waranty.

scrming 10-18-2005 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: angcobra

They can tell by reading the number of times the computer has been flashed.

but since it has the stock program they have no way of proving I reflashed it..... how do I know some tech didn't do it... and since it's the stock program how can they prove it caused any problems since it's their program? just playing devils advocate here..

Hoose84 10-18-2005 09:26 PM

but since it has the stock program they have no way of proving I reflashed it..... how do I know some tech didn't do it... and since it's the stock program how can they prove it caused any problems since it's their program? just playing devils advocate here..
True, I work at a car plant and sometimes units have to be flashed more than once because they won't take or during inspection/repair. So as long as you don't go crazy on it the dealer can't prove you flashed it.

Hoose84

Torkfastback 10-19-2005 11:51 PM

Lots of folks sking about the warrenty issue and performance add-ons like tunes. Went to the SEMA site and found out that it is THE LAW that warrenties cannot be voided by performance add ons. Ot is the legal responsibility of the dealer to prove that your part caused the damage...if he can, then any reasonable bubba would not exspect them to cover the damage. But when the A/C goes out and they say it is because of your tune, they simply do not have the law on their side. Check it out for yourselves...

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61713

After market warrities may be differant, but this clearly covers you for the original warrenty. Exhaust, CAI, Tunes, all will not void your warrenty. Now if you put on a nitros kit and blow a piston...well, do not even try to get your dealer to fix it. Use common sence, know what the Federal Law is, and have fun in this great country!!!