Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.73 and Truetrac ... Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:24 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

Default 3.73 and Truetrac ... Should I?

I am looking at getting new 3.73's put in my rear in the next week or so, and since it's going to be open ... should I put in a Detroit Truetrac. My main concern is that it will not make my car overcompensate or lock up on a turn while on ice.

I can see where it will help me pull out of a spot from say 0-10mph if one of my left tire is on ice and the other isn't (usually the case lol) BUT - how will it affect me when I am driving over some light snow covered roads, rain, or ice and taking a turn at say 25,35,45+ mph... will one wheel overcompensate if it start slipping and bind etc... and send me into a tailspin OR is it seamless and the best option for a year round car that sees all four season??

BTW - I am also thinking of getting her some new Dunlop M3's for X-mas.... And I thought my wife was high maintenance.... LOL
and then get a CAI and finally the S/C ... trying to go step by step in building this ride...

2005 Screamin Yellow V6 - Auto - BLack Side Stripes - SCT2 93 Octane tune - Dual Magnaflows
Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.73 and Truetrac ... Should I?

ORIGINAL: screaminyellin6

I am looking at getting new 3.73's put in my rear in the next week or so, and since it's going to be open ... should I put in a Detroit Truetrac. My main concern is that it will not make my car overcompensate or lock up on a turn while on ice.

I can see where it will help me pull out of a spot from say 0-10mph if one of my left tire is on ice and the other isn't (usually the case lol) BUT - how will it affect me when I am driving over some light snow covered roads, rain, or ice and taking a turn at say 25,35,45+ mph... will one wheel overcompensate if it start slipping and bind etc... and send me into a tailspin OR is it seamless and the best option for a year round car that sees all four season??

BTW - I am also thinking of getting her some new Dunlop M3's for X-mas.... And I thought my wife was high maintenance.... LOL
and then get a CAI and finally the S/C ... trying to go step by step in building this ride...

2005 Screamin Yellow V6 - Auto - BLack Side Stripes - SCT2 93 Octane tune - Dual Magnaflows
yep, if your going to be in there for gears then I would put in some type of LSD... I never have a problem in my 02 GT.. but then again I did have traction control also...
Old 10-18-2005, 11:13 PM
smoker40

limited slip is the way to go if yer planning on driving snow and ice
Old 10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

So then the TrueTrac is the way to go... no dangers in turning and one wheel going faster than the other etc.... around the turn? Seems like I am getting it then.... Wish it wasn't as $$ though LOL but much better than a tow in the winter

Old 10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: screaminyellin6

So then the TrueTrac is the way to go... no dangers in turning and one wheel going faster than the other etc.... around the turn? Seems like I am getting it then.... Wish it wasn't as $$ though LOL but much better than a tow in the winter

You may want to consider a Ford Trac-Lock... not as much $$$.... Mine seems to be holding up pretty well...hehehehe...

Old 10-20-2005, 03:22 AM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Anyone on this board with 3.73:1 gears? I would love to know the MPH/RPM differences.

Like how it effects driving, daily-wise.

Like I know in 5th going 80MPH my RPMs are at 2500. What is it with 3.73's?

Oh and what exactly do they do to you lower gears? Are you able to spend more time in 1st? I know my red line in 2nd gear is at 65. What would it be with the new ones. Just wanna know if adding the gears will have me whipping through 1st 2nd and 3rd. The more i have to shift in a manual the worse off I am. Due to the time it takes.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:24 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangScott

Anyone on this board with 3.73:1 gears? I would love to know the MPH/RPM differences.

Like how it effects driving, daily-wise.

Like I know in 5th going 80MPH my RPMs are at 2500. What is it with 3.73's?

Oh and what exactly do they do to you lower gears? Are you able to spend more time in 1st? I know my red line in 2nd gear is at 65. What would it be with the new ones. Just wanna know if adding the gears will have me whipping through 1st 2nd and 3rd. The more i have to shift in a manual the worse off I am. Due to the time it takes.
There are some calculators out there you can use... try googling... you just need to punch in you gear ratios... The 3.73 shouldn't affect your daily driving too much... give you more snap off the line... may lose 1 or 2 mpg... your RPMs will be a little hight. Actually you'll spend LESS time in 1st, 2nd.... Your RPMS will come up quicker... so time wise you'll have to shift sooner..