Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's

Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
PATDOGG

Default Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's

Well, I had my exhaust made into a true dual exhaust set up and slapped on a pair of GT take off mufflers I had. I liked the sound it was pretty good throughout the entire RPM band. Well, my roomate has an R32 Volkswagon and he has these sweet *** tips on his, since my car is black, I decided to get rid of the hideous tips and get some good looking ones to match the chromed trunk keyhole thing.
So i ordered a set of the new 2005 GT flowmasters, you know, the ones that are black with the 4" tips that looks so sweet.

Here's the low down. The GT take off's sound better throughout the RPM band hands down. I've taken into consideration that the new flowmasters need to be broken in and will start to sound a bit better over time. The flowmasters flow a bit more and you can hear it because it starts to sound like a civic at around 4 grand on the tachometer, unlike the GT take offs. I love the tips, so i'm going to keep them on and I've decided to try to put in some resonators to tone down the ricey/civic sound and get the sound where i want it to be at....a deep throaty sound. My roomates R32 sounds deeper and better than mine, i don't know if it's due to his high compression or what. I looked at his exhaust and it is restrictive as hell. it's a 6cyl with all cylinder exits on one side then goes to a single pipe, not dualed out like i thought. It then is flattened to about 1" in the rear before a sideways huge muffler with the 2 outlets going to the tips.

By the way, the car sounded the very best when I left the exhaust piping alone in my first effort and just swapped out the right muffler with the GT take off. That had a sweet *** deep tone which is what i'm trying to obtain now but with a dual set up. Anyone have any ideas? Post em'

Here's a pic of before i'll post the flowmaster pic in a little bit.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
PATDOGG

Default RE: Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's

Here's the pic of the flowmasters.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
PATDOGG

My bad....here it is....for real this time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22758/2AD6294F82064F608118B7EFC7D16885.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 AM
PATDOGG

I'm going this morning to slap in the resonators hopefully. i'll post the aftermath of it all and let you guys know how she sounds.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Looks nice!!

Did you put in an X-pipe or an H-pipe? Maybe that is a variable you might want to consider.

When most folks say "true dual" they mean two independent pipe systems with no X-pipe or H-pipe connecting them...so wondering if that's what you mean?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the info! Last week I had dual GT takeoffs with an X-pipe installed---I like the sound. Need to get some video/audio of it for the records...maybe in the next few nights.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
PATDOGG

In reply-I didn't have a X-pipe, I just had one pipe on each side going to the mufflers.

Well, I just got back from the muffler shop. I ended up putting a 18" resonator on each side. It was a night and day difference let me tell you. No more rice sound. I lost some power due to putting them in though, but I don't care, the sound is worth it. I was trying to get the sound I wanted, i'm close, but not there yet. I still think if i was to put on my GT take offs, it would sound better, but i'm going to break in these new ones for a while to let them deepen out a bit. I'm also going to put an X-pipe on it on the 15th or 16th to try to get some of the power back that I lost and just a tad bit more sound. I'll post that later too.

I also will try to get a sound clip and post my current exhaust sound and after the x-pipe install. I'll try to take some pics too next time i'm under the car at the muffler shop.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
super65

get rid of your cats and the sound will jump....takin em off makes a huge diff in sound
Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

does the dual exhaust ever get irritating like early morning/late night? i havent done ANYTHING to mine yet... but exhaust is one thing i was thinking about and thought it might be a bit anoying from time to time... what do you guys think?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:38 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

I had true duals installed Monday. I don't have an H or an X.

I have two highflow glasspacks installed near mid section on the car, and these huge (20+ inch) chrome tips that flare out the back.

It looks amazing. (I know, post pics)

The day I got it done, it had the high pitched sound around 3000-4500. Each day that I've driven it, the range in which the tone is high has gotten smaller, and the tone keeps getting deeper.

Hopefully within another week, the high pitched sound will be gone (fingers crossed)... if not, the guys at the muffler shop said they'd switch em out for me.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
mightymouse0786

flowmasters plus a v6= ricey sound. I installed my sisters exhaust, not true duels though. and it sounds so ricerish at times i thought it was my fault but i guess not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's