Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 04:46 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!

Of course, competition is a good thing. After talking with Dashworks, I found out they use superchargers from both companies. For this application, they decided to go with the Powerdyne.

I have a question, for the folks with more SC experience than me... They told me the boost was set at 6 psi. Can you use a smaller pulley to get extra boost with the Powerdyne??
Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I would rather go for a 9-11psi boost for that type of cash to throw into my car.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:00 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well you new GT owners don't have too much to worry about because no matter what a six can do you all can fairly easily match that peformance. But 94-98 are about to be toast, and 99-04s better watch out, now this doesn't include Cobra's. Man can't wait to get my new stang, might buy one tomorro if the price is right.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:34 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Easily? The V6 is pushing 310 RWHP non-intercooled with this SC. A stock GT benches about 255-260 RWHP on the dyno.

A CAI and aftermarket exhaust isn't gonna make that much difference "fairly easily". Granted, you could go with some sort of forced induction and blow the doors off a V6, but that's not the point. The point is the V6 can make power. More than the stock GT, with assloads of cash less. That's not even counting what you'd save with insurance.

Did I post this in the wrong forum??! I thought I was in the 4.0L forum! Sheesh... I could understand this kinda backlash if I was posting this in the GT forum or something. Give us little guys a break! Don't rain on our parade!!

Oh yeah, and if you run up on a V6 and find yourself looking at taillights, you're gonna want a comparable one of these on order yourselves!

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Well you new GT owners don't have too much to worry about because no matter what a six can do you all can fairly easily match that peformance. But 94-98 are about to be toast, and 99-04s better watch out, now this doesn't include Cobra's. Man can't wait to get my new stang, might buy one tomorro if the price is right.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:37 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

I've been thinking about this a bit.... how can a SC set up this way possibly "eat up" an engine? We're talking about forced air, not nitrous or something. Not to mention, it's on a separate pulley, so if the blower seizes up or something, the belt would probably just break.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I well understand how superchargers work... I just don't have a lot of hands on experience.

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

We're talking about a Powerdyne supercharger, aren't we? Don't they have a rep for eating up engines?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:41 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flapjack

I've been thinking about this a bit.... how can a SC set up this way possibly "eat up" an engine? We're talking about forced air, not nitrous or something. Not to mention, it's on a separate pulley, so if the blower seizes up or something, the belt would probably just break.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I well understand how superchargers work... I just don't have a lot of hands on experience.

We're talking about a Powerdyne supercharger, aren't we? Don't they have a rep for eating up engines?
I'm going to say this gently as possible... you say "I well understand how superchargers work" but yet you say things like "We're talking about forced air, not nitrous or something".... sorry but to me that shows your are a little lacking in your knowledge... Correct me if I'm wrong but they way you say it it appears that you think all nitrous is destructive? And nitrous is forced induction... Instead of mechanical pulleys and turbines/propellers you use a pressurized bottle... Remember nitrous does not actually burn!

Just because you install a S/C unit does not automatically mean it's safe for the engine... Your blanket statemements make it appear that's what you believe.... "How can a SC set up this way possibly eat up and engine".... well for starters, put a bad tune in your car and you'll destroy your engine before you get all the way around the block... simple as that..

I think why we get in these heated debates is because people are making these wide sweeping, blanket statements... Now I realize the OP corrected himself later, but he did originally say something to the effect of beating "ALL GTs" out there... you made your blanket statement "not nitrous or something", there by implying all nitrous setups are destructive and will result in a blown engine... do you see my point? These are the kind of statements that tend to get peoples backs up... I know it does mine... like the other day someone made the blanket statment "V6 = slow"... LOL! Yeah, I replied alright... LOL!

Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Let me see if I can sum this up... Nitrous can destroy an engine just as quickly, if not quicker, than a bad tune can. Anyone knows that if you don't have the right timing set (retarded) on an engine, you can blow a hole in your cylinder, bend connecting rods, blow a head gasket, etc... Although today's kits take much of that fear away, there's still the chance that you'll fire it off at too low an RPM.

I've known quite a few people to run nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers, etc... I've never seen a production SC or TC do damage, but I've seen many a nitrous kit screw up an engine. Nitrous, if done right, can be a blast. But personally, I would supercharge my system before I'd even dream of running the juice. The point I was trying to get across is that I've seen nitrous damage more engines than forced induction.

Oh yeah, and I understand how nitrous works. Since when is nitrous "forced induction"? We're talking chemistry here.... N2O releasing extra oxygen in the engine.... etc. Where did I say the stuff actually burned?? An SC or TC actually forces more oxygen into the engine. Nitrous creates oxygen inside the combustion chamber through a chemical reaction. BIG difference.

Last point.... I don't believe that every SC install is perfect and can't screw anything up. That's not what I meant and I don't see where you're pulling that from. You mentioned tunes hurting the engine and whatnot... you must not have read the person I was quoting in my last post. His statement was something to the effect of Powerdyne SCs eating engines. My reply pointed out that a blower hurting an engine is unlikely... a bad tune? Yes. But keep in mind, this tune was designed by very qualified at SCT, working closely with people in Detroit at Ford. Not some kid sitting in his car, toggling fuel curves on a programmable tuner.

As far as the OP goes, that was me. Freaking shoot me. I failed to put "stock" in front of GT when talking about spanking the V8. Anyone who chose to ignore what I obviously meant is just looking to argue. Of course, slap an SC on a GT and no V6 is gonna touch it.... not without lots of cash.

Sorry for the long reply. I just feel like you're putting words in my mouth. At least twice in your post you said I think all nitrous set ups are destructive. I think you're being a little overly-defensive here. Now that you know I feel nitrous is simply more dangerous than supercharging, re-read my post.

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: flapjack

I'm going to say this gently as possible... you say "I well understand how superchargers work" but yet you say things like "We're talking about forced air, not nitrous or something".... sorry but to me that shows your are a little lacking in your knowledge... Correct me if I'm wrong but they way you say it it appears that you think all nitrous is destructive? And nitrous is forced induction... Instead of mechanical pulleys and turbines/propellers you use a pressurized bottle... Remember nitrous does not actually burn!

Just because you install a S/C unit does not automatically mean it's safe for the engine... Your blanket statemements make it appear that's what you believe.... "How can a SC set up this way possibly eat up and engine".... well for starters, put a bad tune in your car and you'll destroy your engine before you get all the way around the block... simple as that..

I think why we get in these heated debates is because people are making these wide sweeping, blanket statements... Now I realize the OP corrected himself later, but he did originally say something to the effect of beating "ALL GTs" out there... you made your blanket statement "not nitrous or something", there by implying all nitrous setups are destructive and will result in a blown engine... do you see my point? These are the kind of statements that tend to get peoples backs up... I know it does mine... like the other day someone made the blanket statment "V6 = slow"... LOL! Yeah, I replied alright... LOL!

Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I have in fact seen a production S/C units take out a motor... justa few weeks ago as a matter of fact...

Doing some research... forced induction seems to have multiple meanings... some consider nitrous FI... some don't.. some would call it "chemcially supercharged".. LOL! I've seen talk about FI being anything that increases cylinder pressure which would include nitrous... LOL!

My fault.. I should have clarified myself... A properly installed nitrous setup with all the latest safety devices, WOT switch, window switch, fuel pressure safety switch, etc. is a pretty safe choice...

And yes, everyone knew the word "stock" was implied... about beating any GT... but that's not what was said... I'm just saying don't be surprise when people respond the way they do when you make those kinds of statements... Just like your generalizations about S/C and nitrous... Your broad statements make it sound like you think that every S/C and Turbo on the market is 100% safe for your car while every nitrous kit will result in melted pistion or bent rods... I'm not trying to put words your mouth... but that is the impression people are left with when you make broad generalizations.. Thank you for taking the time to reply and clearing up my misunderstanding...

The main point is when people make these blanket statements, like the example I had, "V6 = slow" you cannot be surpised if you get a defensive response...I've been guilty of it in the past... I try now to be more aware of it...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

This is a good thread - - lots of information...

BUT.. you guys need to "CALM DOWN" just a bit or I will have to mess up the thread...

I don't think anyone here is dissing anyone else here... just some misunderstanding of definations so you guys need to learn to get your point across more clearly with a calmer tone to your verbage!.

GREAT conversation.

My views on using NOS... I always thought NOS was a bad idea for street machines. Scares me to death thinking people are installing that stuff on their cars when they barely can change a light bulb without blowing a fuse! Sounds to me like a GREAT way to blow up not only your engine.. but your entire car and maybe your house along with it!

I preferr Blowers, Turbochargers and Superchargers over exotic fuels or additives.

These particular engines weren't designed to burn at the temps produced by using NOS or any other fuels or fuel enhancments.

Yes.. you car WILL run wonderfully under NOS, but it won't do it for very long.

A 12 Volt Seal Beem headlight will burn WONDERFULLY BRIGHT if you plug it into a 110 volt socket... for a few seconds!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

This is a good thread - - lots of information...

BUT.. you guys need to "CALM DOWN" just a bit or I will have to mess up the thread...

I don't think anyone here is dissing anyone else here... just some misunderstanding of definations so you guys need to learn to get your point across more clearly with a calmer tone to your verbage!.

GREAT conversation.

My views on using NOS... I always thought NOS was a bad idea for street machines. Scares me to death thinking people are installing that stuff on their cars when they barely can change a light bulb without blowing a fuse! Sounds to me like a GREAT way to blow up not only your engine.. but your entire car and maybe your house along with it!

I preferr Blowers, Turbochargers and Superchargers over exotic fuels or additives.

These particular engines weren't designed to burn at the temps produced by using NOS or any other fuels or fuel enhancments.

Yes.. you car WILL run wonderfully under NOS, but it won't do it for very long.

A 12 Volt Seal Beem headlight will burn WONDERFULLY BRIGHT if you plug it into a 110 volt socket... for a few seconds!

Thanks, Professor...

I'm not trying to diss anyone... please accept my apology if I came across that way...

PW, i can totally relate to your thinking on the N20... I always thought N20 was just an accident going some where to happen! LOL! I too would have preferred a S/C or Turbo... but it was cost prohibitive... so I did a bit of research... found out that I had a lot of misconceptions about N20.. that the new kits are much much safer to use than I ever would have imagined...My wife, the accountant, about killed me with the evil eye when I mentioned $3600 for an S/C... LOL! So then I told here what a bargin the Zex was at only $580! LOL! I will eventually add a S/C or Turbo...

Curious why you think this engine will have trouble with the N20? Wondering when you would expect probelms to start? I've got probably 30 1/4 miles passes and 10 dyno pulls and no sign of any problems yet... again, not trying to be confrontational or a smarty pants... just honestly curious... Maybe this weekend I'll pull the spark plugs and double check them...

Quick Reply: WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!