Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:36 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Default WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!

I still can't wipe the smile off my face!! I'm sure more than a few of you have checked out the Supercharger for the 05-06 V6 being sold on Ebay.... Well, after writing back and forth asking various questions, I realized the company, DashWorks, was only an hour away in Denver!!

First off, there are a few things that really make this kit stand WAY out above the ProCharger setup.

1) This system is dual belted, so if you lose the SC belt, you can still drive, only without boost. The way they do this is they add a pulley to on the outside of the engine from the crankshaft. This also helps reduce drag on the other accessories in the system, which can really affect gas mileage on normal superchargers.

2) This kit was designed with 50-state legality in mind. The company has been working closely with the local Ford dealership to make these perfect every step of the way. They even separated the air temp and air flow sensors, but used Ford parts to do it. The result is the dealership is now having the shop build up the cars with their superchargers. That's what I got to drive today... a car built up for the dealer.

Also, the company worked with Ford engineers to perfect the tune that comes with the kit, which is another reason why it cranks out so much HP.

3) I like how the company does their dyno runs on a warm engine. A lot of other companies do their runs on a cold engine, and even advertise HP gains at the crank, not at the rear wheels. Their non-intercooled kit on an otherwise completely stock V6 manual made 310HP at the rear wheels on a dyno run!

They recently got everything they need to build the kit with a watercooled intercooler. I saw the parts, which I think they're going to include on an upcoming build. They're estimating a bare minimum 40 HP gain with the intercooler, but suspect it'll do much more. The only problem is that the intercooled version may void various parts of the warranty since it'll produce more HP than the transmission and rearend are rated for. The non-intercooled version should not void the warranty if professionally installed.

Now about the ride.... I couldn't believe it. I've driven both stock and mildly modified (CAI, exhaust, etc...) V6's and GTs. This car will beat the pants off any GT owner. In fact, it took a few tries before I could launch w/o spinning the tires! After I could launch without breaking traction, I noticed I never really had a good grip while accelerating. The power of this system kept the tires chirping all throughout first gear. Even a perfect shift to 2nd would result in loud bark of the tires. I tried to keep it down to a dull roar... but the owner of the shop make a sweet 15-ft or so burnout. I just wish I could've driven it with a decent T-lok installed, but the rearend was completely stock.

Anyways, I'm gonna have to wrap this up sometime. I could talk all day about this thing. I was planning on turbocharging my Chevy Avalanche first, but now I'm not so sure..... I think I'll wait for them to get the intercooler install all set up perfect. If I do this, I'm also gonna install the T-lok, some stickier tires, etc... I want to be able to put every HP of that power to the ground.

This place deserves a plug for building such an awesome kit. I'm in no way affiliated with them or anything. I'm just a curious customer looking to smoke a GT and just happened to get my socks blown off today. From what I can tell, they're the first company to actually sell and install a SC on a V6 stang. ProCharger developed a kit, but I've heard they're still in the "taking orders" phase.

Here's their Ebay page: V6 Mustang Supercharger

...and here's the company's homepage: DashWorks.net

Old 10-23-2005, 03:54 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!

This car will beat the pants off any GT owner.
Thats a bold statement considering that there are quite a few supercharged GTs out there.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:03 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

probably meant a stock gt
Old 10-23-2005, 04:04 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GJP05

This car will beat the pants off any GT owner.
Thats a bold statement considering that there are quite a few supercharged GTs out there.
True. I mean normally aspirated GT owners, of course.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:25 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

A Naturaly Aspirated GT can get around 400rwhp with all bolt ons cams and head work. What is a supercharged V6 getting to the wheels?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:11 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

310HP RWHP w/o the intercooler.

They haven't dyno'd the kit with the intercooler yet. They had all the parts in.... looks good. I'm dying to know what it'll make with the intercooler.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Also, keep in mind this is with no other mods. The car I drove today was straight from the dealer, only 50 miles on it.

The only thing non-stock part of the engine was the new injectors, which come with the kit. Who knows what it could get with cams and ported heads.....
Old 10-23-2005, 07:07 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

We're talking about a Powerdyne supercharger, aren't we? Don't they have a rep for eating up engines?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:00 PM
yates90

In the November issue of 5.0 mustang, they have a writeup, pictures, and dyno numbers on a bone stock V6 with Procharger system. I'm convinced to purchase one of their systems. (Published numbers at summer 85F heat / 65% humidity 320 RWHP, 300 lb, mid 13 sec, 100 mph, bone stock otherwise) I believe in a air to air cooler than water. If I did consider the powedyne system, I still would use ATI's or a turbcharger based air to air incooler. From my experiences with my current ATI P1SC superchargers, I think the water based incooler couldn't carry away heat as fast as air to air. THe mass flow of air going through the intercooler far suppresses the water line size. Each component has a efficency coeff, and if theres a heat exchanger for the hot side, then theres a cold sid efficency coefficent, and highly limited flowrate of the water= possibly not carry away enough heat, and complicated system. I think of water to air intercooling as a backup plan in applications where theres not enough room for a air to air intercooler, or if its a marine application where theres always 60 degree F lake water to chill with. Thats my 2 cents. I sense some Powerdyne bashing in few others. Lets back off. Competition with Procharger, Vortec, and other is a good thing for consumers like us...

Yates...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:11 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Still great news!!! The more kits that get to the market, the more options we have and eventually....prices should come down a bit.

Quick Reply: WOOHOO! Drove a Supercharged V6 today!!!