Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction (Throttle/Idle Issues)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Pbetme

Default Hoping someone can point me in the right direction (Throttle/Idle Issues)

Hello,

I have a standard 2008 V6 Ford Mustang.

The problem I'm having started with the service icon (wrench light) and my car stalling out. Eventually the engine light would come on and the car was almost impossible to start. A friend un-plugged my mass airflow sensor and that got me around (with engine and service light / low mpg) until I could take it in to the dealership.

They said the throttle body had a short in it and the car was sticking the throttle all the way open and stalling out, I had just paid them $1000 for rear-end work and couldn't pay the $1000 they wanted to replace the throttle body, so I replaced it myself.

I've done the correct re-learn procedures, it's a brand new replacement for the exact throttle body, but now I can make it 10-20 miles before the car stalls out again. RPMS are jumping from 200-1200 and if I do get the car to run it's at vastly reduced power / puts strain on the transmission because it's no longer shifting right.

If the issue isn't the Mass Airflow Sensor (brand new) or Throttle Body (brand new) What else should I look at? I can't afford the dealership prices and I can't find a good mechanic around me, they all shrug their shoulders and tell me to go to the dealership.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:32 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the throttle position sensor. I'm assuming the new TB came without it and you reused the old one.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:08 AM
Pbetme

I'm somewhat of a novice and don't have a manual handy. That looks like part of both throttle bodies, a plug on each side.

Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products S20020 Electronic Throttle Body: Automotive Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products S20020 Electronic Throttle Body: Automotive

That's the one I installed, and it looks like that part was new as well. I'll double check with an online manual though.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Pbetme

Alright. The throttle position sensor was attached to the new throttle body. I just drove it around until I got the service icon and the engine light and had the codes read and this was the output

P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
P0112 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 Circuit Low
P2196 02 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich - Bank 1, Sensor 1
P2198 02 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich - Bank 2, Sensor 1
Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

The small black sensor is the TPS, so if that is the one you purchased it came with it. So it is possible there is a defect in one of the new components of the TB so I would keep that in mind. However I am suspecting you didn't do something quite right and have an air leak. Did you replace the TB gasket and clean the surface well of the old one? Do you have a factory intake & filter or an aftermarket cold air intake kit? If aftermarket that might be a problem now with the new TB. Either stock or aftermarket go over the connections and be sure all is tight and not damaged anywhere. Here is a link to a video with some good info on the possible causes of issue