Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New muffler question... I think.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

Default New muffler question... I think.

Ok, I searched through about a hundred posts but can't find what I'm looking for. Is there any reason why you can't replace the entire exhaust from the cat back with stock GT parts? I know that many people get the GT mufflers and have a shop do the pipes back. The reason I ask is because I can get all the parts at a pretty good discount and would be able to just bolt it all up myself if there aren't any obstructions. Has anyone done this? I already have the mufflers but just need to know if it's worth buying the pipes and hangers.

Hoose84
Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default RE: New muffler question... I think.

Your talking about GT cutoffs right? Yes it can be done, go to the V6, 2.3L, turbo forum and they have a post on exactly how to install the GT dual exhaust on a V6.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:52 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Your talking about GT cutoffs right? Yes it can be done, go to the V6, 2.3L, turbo forum and they have a post on exactly how to install the GT dual exhaust on a V6.
Well yes and no. The question that I am really asking (or at least meant to) was how are all the pipes connected. Does the Y pipe unclamp after the cats or is it a solid piece all the way back to the axle hump. Is this a simple unbolt it and bolt in new pipes or does it require cutting of the pipe and welding on the new one. If this is a whole bolt up system, I can order the parts at a decent price and do it myself. If it is going to require any welding I'll just take it to the shop and have them run the whole thing.

The posts that I saw didn't state this very clearly.

Hoose84
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

Starting at the manifolds, the V6 is obviously differant. The pipes that run/connect directly onto the manifolds are not the same as the GT pipes at that location. The cats on the V6 are also differant in terms of location/piping relative to the GT. Now, once you get to about the 36" from the manifold portion, the drivers side of the V6 takes an unsymetrical turn over towards the passengers side pipe. The Y IS NOT a true assymetric y that you can just unbolt and then bolt on the GTs from that point. The best you can do is to get the GT mufflers and the GT over the axel pipes. Have a shop cut the V6 pipes as symetrical as possible just down stream from the cats...about 24". Then you must run new pipe from the GT over axel pipes up to the left and right side pipes that are left just past the cats. You can directly weld left to left and right to right and have a true dual system. Weld both pipes to an x pipe or an h pipe and have a dual "mingled" exhaust.
Basically, NO... the entire GT exhaust WILL NOT "just bolt on" to a V6.

Hope this answers your ?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Torkfastback

Hope this answers your ?
That's [sm=exactly.gif] what I was looking for. Appreciate the detail. Thanks!

Hoose84