Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 Convertible top passenger side problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Default 05 Convertible top passenger side problem

When I hit the button to raise the top,the right side lags behind the left like it is slipping or something? I have to help it from the time it gets within my reach, or sometimes I exit the vehicle and pull it up some.
I am wondering if the mechanism popped a pin or is binding? Thanks for any help. don-ohio (:^)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:12 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Well,anyway............I put the Mustang up on the lift after replacing the brake master cyl.,because the rear brakes still weren't right.
I pulled off the rear calipers and noticed a bad wheel bearing passenger side with diff. oil leaking too.
So I pulled the axle and replaced the bearing and seal. Tomorrow I'll put on the Reman calipers and see if I've fixed the brake problem.
Been pretty busy,I'll tell ya.LOL! don-ohio (:^)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Got the calipers on,checked the trans fluid while running above my head on the lift.That is pretty stupid if you ask me.
Can't put a dipstick in it? C'mon,Ford............ don-ohio (:^)
Old 06-04-2016, 04:43 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

It sounds like it is binding. Mine groans more than it did at first. I am going to put a new headliner in this summer and while I have it open I am going apply lithium grease to all the pivot points and double check the oil level.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:09 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Thanks,Steve! I will look into that. Could be! I'm gonna take some time and inspect it more closely. don-ohio (:^)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Karl at aoksales

Lubrication is always a good idea, but sticky joints are seldom the problem.
Most often the hydraulic system is failing, possibly low fluid or a failing pump or cylinder.
It takes an enormous amount of energy for the motor to raise the top because the cylinders are attached to the frame where they have very little mechanical advantage.
An hydraulic leak can often be found by removing the rear seat and backrest and looking for ATF spots. Remember a leak will often travel along the lines before dripping to the floor.
If you have a bad line, replace them all, if a bad cylinder is the cause, replace them both.
When you refill the hydraulic reservoir, use ATF and always fill it with the top up.
Cycle it a few times and fill it again. Repeat till it will take no more fluid or the top works properly.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 AM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Thanks,Carl! I am gonna get to it soon. I appreciate your pointers. don-ohio (:^)