Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

rebuilding transmission on my own, swapping guts to new case.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Mnuckolls

Default rebuilding transmission on my own, swapping guts to new case.

Hello, I have a 5r55s trans issue, the servo bore is messed up, and I've lost 2ND AND 5TH gear. my question is, I've already had it rebuilt (around 15k miles ago) so I think the clutches and bands are in good shape, what is needed to remove the internals and install them into a new case without any specialty tools? I have a new case, with the bushings already installed in the servo bores. I plan on replacing the servo pistons during this process.
I am a skilled automotive tech, but not too familiar with rebuilding automatic transmissions, are there going to be a bunch of specialty tools needed to perform the install? I'm trying to cut down the costs of rebuild and weighing whether or not to fork out another 2 k on a rebuild. trying to keep the costs down, since the car has been out of commission for almost a year, due to the transmission and having the timing chain guides shatter. (wife drove it for 6 months while it was skipping second gear, this lead to it destroying the chain guides.)