Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Please Help Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:41 PM
06v6Vista

Default Please Help Transmission Issue

For the past couple months I've been experiencing slight difficulty removing my car from gear. It's always 1st or 3rd. Never and of the others. Usually I could remove it with a little more force than usual but earlier this week, I dropped to first at a stoplight and went to transition into 2nd and it would budge. No matter how hard I've tried it wont remove itself from 1st. There's no wiggle at all, just stuck. I can turn the car off and try to remove it from gear with the clutch depressed and it not depressed to no avail. I'm no Mechanic but I am Mechanically inclined, yet have no clue what is happening. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder. the clutch and brakes are run off of it. if its low then the throw out bearing wont press against the pressure plate (clutch) to let you shift. top it off and press the clutch pedal till your leg feels like its going to fall off, then have a friend do the same. if that doesn't help then it could be a bad throw out bearing or master clutch cylinder. with the car off, can you move thru the gears without pressing the clutch? check the fluid level in the trans as well. should be level with the top fill hole. good luck
Old 07-07-2017, 04:26 AM
ragtacker

Default Sticking in 1st and 3rd Gear .

Originally Posted by 06v6Vista
For the past couple months I've been experiencing slight difficulty removing my car from gear. It's always 1st or 3rd. Never and of the others. Usually I could remove it with a little more force than usual but earlier this week, I dropped to first at a stoplight and went to transition into 2nd and it would budge. No matter how hard I've tried it wont remove itself from 1st. There's no wiggle at all, just stuck. I can turn the car off and try to remove it from gear with the clutch depressed and it not depressed to no avail. I'm no Mechanic but I am Mechanically inclined, yet have no clue what is happening. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I also own a V6 Mustang in the UK and have experienced the same problem this is caused by corrosion on the shaft leaving from the gear stick to the gearbox where it passes through a hole in the aluminium gearbox housing and the corrosion making it stiff at times the loose solution was to drop the gearbox clean shaft packed with grease problem solved hope this is a help it certainly was to me