Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

disarming passenger air bag

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
bamafan

Default disarming passenger air bag

I just bought a 2005 mustang and see there is a recall for passenger side air bag. I called a local dealer and ask about diarming it and they said by law they could not tell me to do that or how to. From some other threads i have read i would rather have it unarmed is there a way to do this? Thank for help on this.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:59 PM
ranman106

Got the same outstanding recall on my daughter's 2007 Mustang. Dealer says there is no repair available at this time. Don't know if you can disarm it without throwing a code.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 PM
bamafan

Haven't thought about it throwing a code up but I think I had rather have light on and it disarmed. I called Ford still no sign of parts or a fix yet.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

As far back as '93 (my Cobra), defeating the airbag light "ON" was an interesting task. I bought the car with the right front fender crunched, air bag hanging out of it's pocket. Having no intention of fixing the airbag, I cut it off, glued the plastic cover back in place with black Silicone. Bag missing was undetectable to view.

Light was another matter. Disconnecting the feed to the instrument panel did not extinguish the light! Found they had used a special connector having shorting contacts built in, which powered the light when disconnected. Removal of one conductor from the connector shut it off. imp
Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 PM
bamafan

I guess what baffles me is the recall is over a year old. To me that's a law suit if it goes off and someone get hurt that after a year no parts to fix I don't understand that.