Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 v6 5speed trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Joey Winston

Default 2005 v6 5speed trouble

Hi, Thanks in advance for any help..

I have a 2005 v6 Legend Lime 5-speed mustang. Just passed 70k miles. No engine upgrades. Just Exterior pieces.

Today I was making a trip for work, About 16 highway miles and 5 intercity miles. When I made to my last stop, (Fed Ex) I noticed as I was pulling in the Parking spot my Rpms started to increase while I wasnt touching the gas (Clutch was also in so the car was not moving faster). I shut it off and went into the store. When I came back out the car started up fine but the Wrench symbol came up along with a Check engine light.

When I tried to reverse out of the parking spot i would give it gas but it would barely move. It would not go over 1500 rpm's or about 4 mph. I drove once around the lot and re parked the car. After a few minutes I re tried it and same problem. Although it was idling fine when i gave it gas it did nothing. So I went under the hood to look over everything Which everything looked normal. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the cpu but no luck. the wrench and check engine light immediately came back.

The Engine codes read p2112 and p2104.

I ran to a nearby store and got a few things and started to work in the parking lot. I opened the throttle body and cleaned it the best i could but the inner flap would not move easily. I cleaned it very well with cleaner and wiped it down.. I also took off the MAF sensor and cleaned it too. Now when i try to start it it will barely start then immediately die...

Is it the TPS? Or possibly the fuel filter? Or the whole throttle do you think? I've worked in a body shop most of my life so most of my experience is fixing dents not mechanical issues.

Ive read most places that its usually the TPS but would it cause the vehicle not to start? And would it happen so sudden like this? Or is it the entire faulty throttle? Or could the fuel relay be at fault?

On a side note im curious if anyone thinks my hood scoop has anything to do with it. I have a cervini style hood with two large hood scoops. Would the incoming water affect this at all if some did get in?

Ive had the car for about 8 years and bought it used with 20k miles on it and this is the first issue I have had with it at all.

Any input would really help me out! Thanks alot guys I appreciate it!!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

P2104 is "Forced Engine Idle", p2112 is "Throttle Body Stuck Shut". I'm assuming the car has "Drive by Wire" Throttle Body Control; almost any fault with that system is dealt with severely, due to the serious rash of accidents experienced by one of the Japanese car makers in the early 2000s.

You mentioned the throttle plate being difficult to open. There is a strong spring which forces it closed. It is likely that there is a mechanical problem in the gearing which opens and closes the plate. That is accomplished by a small motor, which, in the event of failure electrically, would show a code for the motor. The fault COULD be with the TPS, but rather unlikely, as that would throw a TPS code.

When I experienced on-going problems with mine, with similar codes to yours, I bought a brand-new TB, complete, which solved the trouble. imp
Old 08-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Joey Winston

Thanks for the info IMP! I really appreciate it! I might just replace the whole throttle body assembly and go from there.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yes 05 and up are Throttle by wire/drive by wire/ fly by wire, whatever you want to call it.

The Throttle body on these cars is motor/gear driven. Trying to force the plate open can damage the throttle body gears or motor.

There are two things that can fail on these systems, the Throttle body itself or the pedal position sensor (aka gas pedal sensor) that sends the signal to the PCM. The Pedal position sensor is basically a variable resistor/ rehostat. Where your foot on the pedal is, sends a signal of varying resistance to the PCM. PCM picks up on that and adjusts the throttle plate to the proper position based on the signal.

There is a plastic side plate on the throttle body that can be removed to allow inspection of the gears and such. If the gears look ok, it's possible the motor/solenoid itself has failed.

You should look for Throttle body installations instructions to see if there's any need to 'reset' the plate position after removing the cover to avoid any damage. Someone here on the forum may chime in.

Worst case scenario you have to replace the Throttle body or pedal position sensor.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Joey Winston

Hey Guys I have an update! It turned out to be the Throttle Body Motor. Thankfully the cheapest part that could have gone wrong. First I Swapped the TPS and Cleaned the Throttle body with no luck. Next I bought a new throttle body motor and changed them out. While changing them i also had to clean the gears inside the throttle body motor because they had a lot of what looked like acid buid up on them. Put everything back together and the car started right up. No codes no lights no hesitation. Ill let you know in a few weeks if I had any setbacks. Hopefully this helps someone else.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:15 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Great to hear that worked out for you! And, that sometimes help is useful! imp