Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shaking and dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 03:29 PM
needinghelp

Default Shaking and dying

Wife's 2006 V6 mustang is having some issues I'm hoping you guys can help us with. First off, yesterday it died while I was driving it through an intersection. I noticed it was getting hard to turn and then I pulled it off to the emergency lane. I didn't realize it died until I tried to give it gas again. I took it to Autozone this morning and the alternator and battery both tested good. I cleaned the battery terminals. We had the alternator replaced by Ford about 3 years ago because basically the same thing happened then. Is there anything else we should check out since they both tested good? It's been driving since.

Second issue, it's been shaking for awhile. It seems to shake like it might shut off as soon as you start it. It's kind of like a rumble. It also does this at stop lights while in drive or neutral, even when the car is warmed up. Each time sounding as though if it could die.

It also has a slight ticking sound that seems to come from the top of the engine. It is NOT a knock. I'm not sure if this is something to worry about or not.

There are no lights showing on the dashboard and her Bama Tuner is not showing any codes. We would appreciate any help!!!

Miles: 106,364
Tune: American Muscle Race Tune (May not be the right name) installed about 6 years ago.
Oil Change: 1,100 miles ago
Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

mine will mysteriously stall as well, still haven't been able to figure out why. it only happens once in a great while though.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum! how has the maintenance been on the car? over 100K, quite a few things need attention. spark plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter, clean MAF and TB and a bit more, its all in the manual. auto trans are sealed but fluid change should be done. AM race tune=Bama. if you haven't messed with it, it should be ok as that long ago they were writing good tunes. nowadays not so much. start with the basics and report back, good luck
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

I would start with a cleaning of the throttle body and a new fuel filter. Do the RPM fluctuate while idling?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM
needinghelp

Originally Posted by bl817
Welcome to the forum! how has the maintenance been on the car? over 100K, quite a few things need attention. spark plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter, clean MAF and TB and a bit more, its all in the manual. auto trans are sealed but fluid change should be done. AM race tune=Bama. if you haven't messed with it, it should be ok as that long ago they were writing good tunes. nowadays not so much. start with the basics and report back, good luck

I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor and that seems to have fixed it. I appreciate the help!!