Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rusted rear axle, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:53 AM
yanock

Default Rusted rear axle, what do you think?

Hello, I just bought a 05 convertible with rust underneath.

I knew it but I'm still wondering if it will be easy to fix.

Regarding the support bar, I'll try to get rid of them first and maybe buy some sway bars or try to have some new one made. I found some inspiration here.

But I'm more concerned about the 1st image and especially the part with the red circle. What do you guys think? Do you know how what that part is or is it part of something bigger ? (can't see clearly without lifting the car)

Hope it can be fixed easily by a newbie like me.

Thanks in advance for you help and advices.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

You can thank Mark Fields for that. Don't paint anything the average customer won't see.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 PM
yanock

What do you mean? It was maybe unclear but it's my car now and I dont'want it to break.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 PM
JimC

Those parts aren't painted from the factory, and the rust is on the surface and actually protects the metal - it isn't rusting through on the axle and components.

The convertible braces are painted from the factory, but they do rust through. Many have just removed them and been fine, even with a lot more horsepower than the 4.0 can generate.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 PM
fj5gtx

Default treat it !

You are in the rust belt. You can do a couple of things with that axle. Wire brush it and paint it with a rust covering capable paint ( POR15, Chassis Saver, Rust Bullet, etc)... or hit it with something like Fluid Film.

I'd use a brush that looks like this:
http://bit.ly/2w8Ctm7

You want to do something to slow down that corrosion. Key is you want to knock off the loose bits of rust, then put something on it that removes one of the key components of oxidation.

Those reinforcements for convertibles look like they bolt off. You could get a pair from the south and have them shipped and replace. Or you could take them off and get them sandblasted and then paint them. Or do the paint over rust treatment.

Either way, if you live in the rust belt and drive the car when the state drops corrosive (to steel) chemicals to melt ice/snow, you need to become smart about how to combat those elements.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:20 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

About once a year I will quick sand mine and shoot some black rustoleum paint on them.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM
yanock

Thanks for the advices, I'll try to do my best.

Not sure I can save those reinforcements because the left one is nearly dead. I'll remove them and maybe wait next year to replace them.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:48 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-...JYG4Dy&vxp=mtr
Old 09-03-2017, 02:49 PM
yanock

Nice! Thank you
Old 09-03-2017, 03:13 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by yanock
Nice! Thank you
That isn't the convertible rear bracing. It looks like they are aftermarket side rail supports. The convertible bracing is quite bit different.