Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Water in spare tire well...

Old 07-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Default Water in spare tire well...

While changing my rear shocks the other day, I noticed water in the spare tire well. It a 2012 vert... I did notice it once before and really didn’t think much of it. But now its bugging me. The rain came down in buckets the other day when I was playing golf, windows closed, top up, trunk closed.... it stays in the garage, so it’s not being rained on for hours. The down pour only lasted about 15 min.
Any clues where it could be coming from?? Any answers? Has this happened to anyone? Maybe a vert problem? You guys seem to know a lot so I’m reaching out to the experts!! Thanks in advance
Old 07-21-2018, 04:14 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

ONLY in the spare tire well, nothing in the side pockets where the side markers
are, from inside the trunk?

If you have a spoiler, check to see if there are any water stains around those bolts on the trunk lid.
The top of your trunk liner would also be wet.

If the trunk weather seal were bad, the trunk liner would also be wet.

If the trunk liner is not wet:
Check for water stains at the tail light bolts, this is most likely the cause, especially if the
trunk liner is not wet on top. I have had water in another car, that was in the spare tire well,
and side pocket on the driver side, it was due to a bad tail light seal.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Just the well! Liner not wet, nothing!! I’m confused!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Open the trunk and remove all the carpeting a trim that you can.

Get a water hose with a spray nozzle you can control (on off). Keep the trunk open while you spray all around under the car both on and near the spare tire well while someone keeps an eye on the trunk to see where the water is coming in. While under there, you may as well fire water up into the actual tire wells to see if you can find anything.

If that doesn't find anything, then the next step is to close the trunk, raise the top and spray at the base of the top where it meets the rear deck and all around the trunk lid. Then open the trunk and see if you can spot any water intrusion.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

I had the issue in the left side pocket. There were two leaks for me: some of the body seams behind the right taillight are needed some help, and the right bolt of my spoiler. I added some clear sealant/RTV, and I was good to go. That probably doesn't help you, but perhaps can help someone else. The best bet would be to use the hose method Derf00 talked about. You SHOULD be able to see a water trail from the past also. Unless that metal is 100% clean, there is usually some mark left over from where the water ran.