MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Opted out of airbag recall (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/735815-opted-out-of-airbag-recall.html)

Buckshot Barry 10-08-2018 03:13 PM

Opted out of airbag recall

My special order 2007 Pony Package is a true garage queen, with only 915 miles. I know, I know, but it's my 3rd pony in my life and this one is what it is.

Anyway, been getting more and more airbag recall notifications, lately including phone calls and text messages.

Today I called customer support at 800-392-3673 and easily opted out of futute notifications. Wow, the rep even understood and we both agreed if my Pony became a driver I would get the recall done, just not now. Thanks Ford!

08'MustangDude 10-08-2018 03:31 PM

The recall is on the INFLATOR, not the entire air-bag assembly. Mine was done in LESS
than a half hour. I Went in, thought I would be there for over an hour, was out the door
a half hour later... Easy peasy...

07 Stang 10-09-2018 08:17 AM

Barry I had mine done. Nothing to it and doesn't take a lot of time.

GT Nate 10-09-2018 11:11 AM

I would fix it, if the inflator fails it could be inflating the airbag at a velocity greater than it's designed for.
Super easy fix... in and out and you're done

Buckshot Barry 10-09-2018 03:47 PM

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind.

08'MustangDude 10-09-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GT Nate (Post 8636496)
I would fix it, if the inflator fails it could be inflating the airbag at a velocity greater than it's designed for.
Super easy fix... in and out and you're done

The reason is because: The inflator is basically a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers. What has happened is, from age,
and moisture, they have ignited with explosive force on impact with an object. If this causes inflator housing to rupture in a crash, the metal shards
from the housing can be sprayed throughout the cabin. So, basically, it turns into a frag grenade... It has nothing to do with the velocity
in which the bag is inflated, it's the thing explodes. Airbags ARE exploded open, but the parts should not be torn apart due to that
explosion.

These are airbags that use ammonium nitrate-based propellent without a chemical drying agent, thus environmental moisture, high temperatures,
and age is associated with the defect that can improperly inflate the airbags and send shrapnel into the occupant.

ALL airbags are exploded open at high velocity. IT has to open before your face makes contact with it, and the faster the better. It can never be too
fast, because it only deploys on impact, and it would be impossible for it to deploy too fast thus deflate before your head hits it.

Gravydog316 10-10-2018 02:13 AM

Get it replaced when you can.
It's pretty serious

1 Alibi 2 10-10-2018 07:13 AM

An error in judgement.
15 minute repair, possible hundreds of dollars in damage, if for some reason it should fail.

Rocket Ray 10-10-2018 07:57 AM

Yes, get them replaced. I recently had the passenger's side airbag replaced. It is no big deal, you cannot notice that the car has been worked on. And you and your passenger will be a lot safer.

08'MustangDude 10-10-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 (Post 8636606)
An error in judgement.
15 minute repair, possible hundreds of dollars in damage, if for some reason it should fail.

Not to mention possible death, or $1000s of dollars in hospital fees as they're picking
metal shards out of your face, and wherever and/or whoever else was in the car..