Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 convertible 3.7 automatic gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
The plate only moves 45 degrees, from straight up
and down.
If I'm not mistaken it should be 90 degrees.
You're absolutely correct about the idle trim relearning procedure though.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Chris DeNigris

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
If you have ever disconnected the battery, and did not go through the idle trim relearn process,
your off the line acceleration will suffer. There is a procedure FORD put in their cars to relearn
the throttle plate positions while idling, cold warm and hot, then with A/C on. Mine was sloppy, but I
had a battery put in, so while at Adavance Auto, I waited in the parking lot and went through the
process. HUGE difference...

Basically, after restoring power, you start the car and let it run for 10 minutes as it relearns the
idle trims. Then when at operating temp, turn on the A/C. You do this in PARK, idling. Idle
trim optimizes throttle plate positions. There is a video, with a guy using the FORD IDS
software, that shows it is learning the values, and when it rests on it's final values. Also
he explains the tolerance as to where it should be within when it's done.

Then you may not need that pedal commander, OR, will improve it even more. Doesn't matter how
fast the plate opens, it's what angle it's at. The plate only moves 45 degrees, from straight up
and down. If it's not at 45 degrees at WOT, you're losing some power, not a lot. If it opens passed
45 degrees, you may get more fuel, but less air. It is important the relearn is done after a TUNE or
removing battery power.
Thanks, its good advice. I did try this method with the A/C and all after watching a youtube video in the car. I believe I did it correctly. Nevertheless, I did not notice a significant improvement. I loaded another tune yesterday after complaining and the car seems to shift smoother but no real acceleration miracles happening to me. I did not do this method on the last tune load. I'm now having an issue because I called MPT to load up to my SCT Bluetooth tuner that I bought from American Muscle in October and they are telling me mine is the only model they can't write a tune for because SCT refuses to update their firmware. I spoke to SCT who claims that to be false. I will say that the APP never worked 100% and I can't run any tests after loading a tune which has been problematic but an entirely separate issue. I am in contact with AM about this issue cause this $400 tuner is a half *** tuner. I want to get this MPT tune you all recommend and then I'll do the idle relearn again and hopefully I'll get some super good acceleration but so far it's just meh.