Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help....Misfiring After Putting In Remanufactured 3.7L Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:31 PM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

Default Help....Misfiring After Putting In Remanufactured 3.7L Engine

I recently swapped a high mileage 3.7l ford engine for a remanufactured 3.7l ford engine in my 2011 v6. It included new spark plugs. When I got the car back, the check engine light started to flash and read misfires on two cylinders. It only happened when I aggressively accelerated on the highway, leading a mechanic to suspect bad coil packs.

We then immediately replaced four of those coils including the ones connected with the cylinders mentioned in the code. For a day it was fine, then the check engine light came back on and the misfiring became more noticeable and consistent. When I had the code read, it said misfire in cylinder 3 (one of the replaced coils), and a random misfire. Before we replaced the coils it would blink until I pulled over and stopped and restarted the car, then it would disappear. After those replacements it stays on and the car bucks and is constantly misfiring. It can’t reach high rpm’s and it vibrates on idle JA: What year is your Spark? I have all new spark plugs and 4 new coils. Whatever the issue is I’m suspecting it’s electrical/computer based. I’m badly in need of ideas because I’m not a mechanic and I can’t afford to keep throwing money at this. Any ideas on what this could be?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like maybe you need to reset your crank sensor.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:44 PM
JimC

Did you do the crank relearn procedure? Your description sounds more like that is the issue. If you ever separate the engine and transmission on a 2011+ you have to teach the computer where everything is again. If you don't do the crank relearn, then you will get misfires exactly the way you described.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Did you do the crank relearn procedure? Your description sounds more like that is the issue. If you ever separate the engine and transmission on a 2011+ you have to teach the computer where everything is again. If you don't do the crank relearn, then you will get misfires exactly the way you described.
Sorry about the multiple posts, I just don’t have a huge budget to figure this out and am freaked out. They recalibrated the crankshaft sensor today and cylinder 3 is still misfiring very noticeably. I just don’t know what else it could be.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:12 PM
JimC

It isn't the crankshaft sensor. There is a procedure you have to follow that is the crankshaft relearn. If you have a SCT X4 or newer you can do it yourself. Since you are still getting the misfire it sounds like your installer has not done the proper step.

If it isn't done you can damage the engine. I had to replace an engine and ended up with massive oil blow by (had put a turbo on it so was tuned). Ended up with a hole in a piston. That installer put the next engine in and I was getting the same symptoms as you (had removed the turbo and gone back to stock). When I asked him if he had done the crank relearn the response was, "uhhh, I'm sure it was done if it is required". Stopped by the dealer and asked them to check and the relearn had to be done. No problems on that engine after that; probably caught the problem in time and the fact that I had put it back to stock.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
It isn't the crankshaft sensor. There is a procedure you have to follow that is the crankshaft relearn. If you have a SCT X4 or newer you can do it yourself. Since you are still getting the misfire it sounds like your installer has not done the proper step.

If it isn't done you can damage the engine. I had to replace an engine and ended up with massive oil blow by (had put a turbo on it so was tuned). Ended up with a hole in a piston. That installer put the next engine in and I was getting the same symptoms as you (had removed the turbo and gone back to stock). When I asked him if he had done the crank relearn the response was, "uhhh, I'm sure it was done if it is required". Stopped by the dealer and asked them to check and the relearn had to be done. No problems on that engine after that; probably caught the problem in time and the fact that I had put it back to stock.
So what is the difference between recalibrating the crankshaft sensor and a crankshaft relearn? The dealership says they did the former.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

I’m also concerned because at first like I said the check engine light would only flash at high rpms and I couldn’t really feel anything wrong until that happened. After replacing the coils, now the car is misfiring noticeably, bucking and shaking and the code still firmly reads cylinder 3. This seems different than what was happening before.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:42 PM
JimC

The dealership MIGHT be saying the same thing in different words. However, since you are still having problems and they are worse than before, I don't think that what they did was the crank relearn. The is different from adjusting or recalibrating a sensor. It is a programming of the computer so it knows where the crank is at all times and can then handle the timing and other things. If all they did was adjust a sensor then that could be what is causing your issues now.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Mercury83
2nd Gear Member

Ok so an update. I ended up replacing the pcm/main computer of the car thinking it was going bad and causing the coil packs in cylinder 3 to fail. It ran fine for over 2 weeks and then all of a sudden the coil pack failed yet again in cylinder 3. I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I still say the car did not have misfire/coil pack issues before the engine was replaced, and now that I’ve replaced the computer...the spark plugs and coil packs multiple times....I just don’t know what else it could be. Something is causing the coil pack in cylinder 3 alone to fail and nobody can find the cause.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check your wiring harnesses. Often times when you have seemingly random electrical issues after an engine/tranny swap or removal/install, it's a connector or wire somewhere that is pinched, burned, or exposed/rubbing. The wire going to the #3 cylinder may be broken inside from being kinked.

Also, what is the specific code you are getting for the misfire? P0303 or P0353? There is a difference.

Quick Reply: Help....Misfiring After Putting In Remanufactured 3.7L Engine