Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

True dual exhuast V6 = lose HP & TQ ?

Old 11-09-2005, 06:02 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: True dual exhuast V6 = lose HP & TQ ?

StupidTodd

Thanks for your input,

I just do not want to lose any (the liile I have)of my HP or TQ (TQ is more important than HP) going to dual exhuast because its for curb appeal for me and slightly louder exhuast
Old 11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

http://www.proficientperformance.com...k_pressure.php

and

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Keep the stock diameter (or a maximum of 2.5" diameter) but go with a 'tuned' exhaust to get better sound. Going larger is not the way to go if you plan on keeping the car stock.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

OK after all the input from everyone a little more research & derf links (thanks), it comes down to this if I have it right the little V6 engine requires back pressure and if you remove back pressure bigger true dual exhuast by getting the exhuast out faster (upset the flow balance)without a good amount of more air coming in (keeping engine stock) bigger cam, bigger heads etc you are lose HP & TQ & in the low end RPM range.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: TJ

OK after all the input from everyone a little more research & derf links 9 (thanks), it comes down to this if I have it right the little V6 engine requires back pressure and if you remove back pressure bigger true dual exhuast by getting the exhuast out faster (upset the flow balance)without a good amount more air coming bigger cam, bigger heads etc you are lose HP & TQ & in the low end RPM range.

Mostly correct, if you do go dual exhaust you just need to be leary of going with 2.5" on the V6. 2.25 would be the biggest I would recommend. If tuned properly it will still sound hella good. The mufflers can have 2.5" at the tips. You will not lose anything in the power department and have an excellent stepping off point should you decide to do a more intensive mode later on (I.e. turbo or S/C)
Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

So my next questions to you guys/derf. Do I have the following right?

I will be keeping my engine stock but want dual exhuast curb appeal (its a Mustang) slightly louder sound.

So going with a Y pipe and another stock V6 muffler on the left side (keeping my engine stock) will not affect my back pressure enought to upset the flow balance no loss of HP or TQ.through the RPM range

X pipe with free flowing mufflers on a stock engine you start to upset the flow on a stock engine.

The H pipe would be even more free flowing.

True dual exhuast with free fow mufflers on a stock engine would lose HP & TQ in low RPM range
Old 11-09-2005, 07:20 PM
05redfireV6

errgh, It seems that no matter what you hear, you still think that you will loose torque and HP. This isn't always true. As long as you are conservative with it. Even the V8's will loose power if you go with too big of an exhaust. Keep in mind that your engine has to move air, that means in and out of the cylinder. A conservative dual exhaust will give you more power than a y-pipe. Ford just didn't want to put it on the V6, because of cost/competative with the GT issues.
'
Old 11-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

based on Derf's links (very good, informative info by the way) true dual h-pipe wont disrupt flow pulses in any significant way unless the diameter of the piping is too large. its seems that the kits available (JBA, Magnaflow, Borla) all use 2.5 inch piping which seems appropriate for the 4.0L engine (basing this on the info from the links). "True" dual with no X or H pipe may be a "slightly" different story. i'm still not convinced that backpressure is what makes the V6 stang what it is. seems to me that it was designed more for cost effeciency so that more people can afford to have a stang, LIKE ME!! if that was really the case, i'm sure performance mfrs. would create products to increase backpressure on the '05 & '06 Stangs (just doesnt make sense). besides that, it seems clear that backpressure makes the engine work harder to exhasut gases and take years away from engine life (although it may help in the TQ department). i'm pro-life and want my engine to produce strong performance without it having to work as hard and decrease engine life. still waiting to see some dyno results on a dual H-pipe exhaust!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05redfireV6

errgh, It seems that no matter what you hear, you still think that you will loose torque and HP. This isn't always true. As long as you are conservative with it. Even the V8's will loose power if you go with too big of an exhaust. Keep in mind that your engine has to move air, that means in and out of the cylinder. A conservative dual exhaust will give you more power than a y-pipe. Ford just didn't want to put it on the V6, because of cost/competative with the GT issues.
'
i totally agree with you on that one. when it comes down to it, its all about sales and business. if ford put duals on the V6, GT sales would be a heck of a lot lower than they are now. they would look the same but be cheaper even though its a smaller engine. as a result, people would brush off the GT cuz of the price. this is just what i think. anyone else with other knowledge or opinions, please share!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: TJ

So my next questions to you guys/derf. Do I have the following right?

I will be keeping my engine stock but want dual exhuast curb appeal (its a Mustang) slightly louder sound.

So going with a Y pipe and another stock V6 muffler on the left side (keeping my engine stock) will not affect my back pressure enought to upset the flow balance no loss of HP or TQ.through the RPM range

X pipe with free flowing mufflers on a stock engine you start to upset the flow on a stock engine.

The H pipe would be even more free flowing.

True dual exhuast with free fow mufflers on a stock engine would lose HP & TQ in low RPM range
Not following you on the 'Another Y pipe'. Unless you mean an 'X' pipe. It won't negatively affect your hp or TQ unless you go larger than 2.25" with a stock engine. Not sure on the Free flowing mufflers.

H pipes are typically used for equalization between the exhaust banks. At higher RPM's they don't add anything to the RPM band like the X pipes can.

Most of your backpressure is in the Cats and single exhaust pipe not the muffler(s). I don't know how that's affected with true dual and two free flows though. I would do a search on this board to find out more about exhaust combos that work well with the mustangs. Keep in mind, 2.25" max. diameter and an X pipe are where you want to start.

The mufflers are where you can have the majority of your sound 'tuned' to what you think sounds good. Different Brands will be tuned differently. As long as you have a solid foundation on the rest of the exhaust you're free to swap the mufflers around until you find one with the sound you like.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 PM
socool9004
2nd Gear Member

SO.....If i have a steeda intake and Jetchip on my V6 5-speed, what should i be looking at if i want sound(little louder and more american), performance (maybe a few more horses, i DONT wanna loose any), and looks (gotta have one tail pipe on both sides) or is this "dream" exhaust system just a fantasy of mine, is their an exhaust systems with all those features?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True dual exhuast V6 = lose HP & TQ ?