Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

True dual exhuast V6 = lose HP & TQ ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: True dual exhuast V6 = lose HP & TQ ?

05redfire take it easy I am getting it I just want to do it right the first time see below (new to V6's)

Derf
I think I am going to go this way, after your input and others dual exhaust with X pipe with max. 2.25 dia outside pipes going back to the mufflers( stock V6 mufflers & derf like you said could always change later)) like a safe way for me to go without losing to much back pressure and I should not lose any HP or TQ at all AND poss according to 05red gain a little this route. ( i know 05red I should go free flow aftermarket can't do it if was a 8 no problem)

On the V6 all the aftermarket mufflers I heard & GT take offs which I tried on my car just don't give me the sound IMO I like no offense to anyone, thats why I am going with V6 stock mufflers for me quieter but I like the sound remember I have a stick.

One last question what is the diff between going with a H pipe and X pipe (than the obivious flow) performance wise and tech wise and I should go with the X pipe insted of the H pipe right?

This has been a good thread cleared up a lot of questions for me and I think I got it and I like to thank all you guys for you input all you guys were great.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

05red
errgh, It seems that no matter what you hear, you still think that you will loose torque and HP
Because I keep thinking about reported dyno results when I read the quote below along with other information at that link below, I am trying to over come this thats why like sancho805 said like to see dyno results but acording to you guys X pipe is what makes (w/2.25 pipes) the difference vers true dual exhuast .

"The comments about backpressure causing losses in torque and HP on the bottom end are coming from owners of older V6 Mustangs that have dynoed before and after exhaust changes and reported the results. Stock V6 motors have reacted poorly to true duals "
https://mustangforums.com/m_573138/m...ressure/tm.htm
Old 11-09-2005, 10:51 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks, your ride looks sweet. I dig the stripe on the rear! Mine is auto.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:54 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

So my next questions to you guys/derf. Do I have the following right?

I will be keeping my engine stock but want dual exhuast curb appeal (its a Mustang) slightly louder sound.

So going with a Y pipe and another stock V6 muffler on the left side (keeping my engine stock) will not affect my back pressure enought to upset the flow balance no loss of HP or TQ.through the RPM range

X pipe with free flowing mufflers on a stock engine you start to upset the flow on a stock engine.

The H pipe would be even more free flowing.

True dual exhuast with free fow mufflers on a stock engine would lose HP & TQ in low RPM range

X pipe is more free flowing than a H.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:51 PM
socool9004
2nd Gear Member

So, whats the difference between true duels vs an H pipe...isnt it one in the same in a sence?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:53 AM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: socool9004

So, whats the difference between true duels vs an H pipe...isnt it one in the same in a sence?
An H is connected (like an H)... true duals have no interconnect.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:22 PM
GT05

IDK why you would run a "true" dual on a V6. Basically you have 2 GEO Metro's now. You might gain a lil horsepower but you'll lose torque. And what's up with those lil fog lights on the V6? Is that from the factory, or is that some sad attempt to look like a V8. BTW, unless you're worried about insurance, WHY OH WHY!?!? would you get a V6 Pusstang!!!! 210hp lol.
My old 2000 Honda Accord can smoke you V6's all day!! (227hp 211tq, and that's with a 4 speed)
Bottom line, you should prolly get an X pipe, that would solve your back pressure issues. Or just do a single to Y pipe and put some nice tips on and you'll be doing good.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:17 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT05
IDK why you would run a "true" dual on a V6.
Easy: Twin Turbos

And what's up with those lil fog lights on the V6?
Those are the 06 V6 factory fog lights.

WHY OH WHY!?!? would you get a V6 Pusstang!!!! 210hp lol.
Because I didn't want to be associated with the a$$hole Mustang GT crowd that thinks they're better than everyone else, that's why.

(notice, I'm not saying all Mustang GT owners, just those with the weird superiority complex, most GT owners are wonderful helpful people, but then there are the "others"... why can't we all just get along?)

Besides, it's more fun to play with the V6. Any 'tard can pay someone to make 500HP out of their GT. It takes some skill and patients to do it with the V6 (and make it reliable). The aftermarket is so small, you end up having to do a lot of the custom work yourself.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:21 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i have seen dynos of other cars that had true duals put on (instead of a single) and some of the smaller engined cars did lose a bit of power, not really any significant amount tho, like 2hp
Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

LOL, ouch, that had to hurt... [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Quick Reply: True dual exhuast V6 = lose HP & TQ ?