Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run in with a COBOLT ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Run in with a COBOLT ??

As part of my "Friends don't let friends race ugly cars" campaign, I will just say next time save your gas and let that Cobalt go off in a screaming fit of four-banger glory
Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 PM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

i don't know if anybody knows this but the cobalt is chevy's answer to the dodge srt-4. i know this cause i stayed up on them when they were coming out. when i was in germany i decided to do the american muscle thing cause i have always loved american muscle. the other guys when they got back from iraq they went and bought those rice pos srt-4's and cobalts. a few of them (who had the money) bought wrx sti's and evo's. they were all running around in little crews like they were the sh*t. they were saying things like " i have a turbo!" and " mine is supercharged!". i told them my car is just as quick as theirs and mine is naturally aspirated. i raced an srt-4 (stock) and i took him out. can't say the same about a cobalt. never raced one. but i do know this: the srt-4 comes stock 230 hp turbocharged on a dohc 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. the only reason i took him out was cause i had more low end torque and got him off the line (plus the fwd factor is a kick in the butt, as does the cobalt has). the cobalt ss is a supercharged 2.0 liter dohc ecotec 4 cylinder running 205 hp. because it is supercharged i would assume it is quicker off the line being there is no lag like a turbo but being it a smaller liter engine with less hp i don't know....

maybe you guys out there have more info than me on this so let me know. any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:01 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: codyss

I hate to break this to you but the 2006 Non-Supercharged Cobalt SS would give a V6 a good run. But a 2005-2006 would have killed any year of V6.

The 205HP rating is BS they are actually around 240-245HP at the flywheel. With a weight of 2900lbs that equals low 14's @ 98+mph 100% bone stock!

A 1999-2004 GT might have the edge from a dig but that is all from a roll the SS will eat a GT alive. They are hard as hell to launch thus why some 1/4 numbers are not to impressive.
Yes, a Cobalt SS s/c is smack dab in the middle of the approximatly second difference between the 05+ v6 and GT, and yews the Cobalt ss s/c is underrated stock. But saying a n/a Cobalt SS could keep up with an 05+ v6 is taking it a bit far. The v6 stock is capable of high 14's in manual and high 15's in auto. Looking at cobaltSS.net, stock times for n/a SS look like mid 15's in manual to high high 15 in auto.

An 05+ Mustang v6 vs a n/a SS is no more a race then a S/C SS vs. a v6 stock for stock nor mod for mod.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: codyss

I hate to break this to you but the 2006 Non-Supercharged Cobalt SS would give a V6 a good run. But a 2005-2006 would have killed any year of V6.

The 205HP rating is BS they are actually around 240-245HP at the flywheel. With a weight of 2900lbs that equals low 14's @ 98+mph 100% bone stock!

A 1999-2004 GT might have the edge from a dig but that is all from a roll the SS will eat a GT alive. They are hard as hell to launch thus why some 1/4 numbers are not to impressive.
I'm actually a big fan of the cobalts and know a few of them in my area. I like them because they beat the imports at thier own game. But the SS, stock w/stock tires and suspension in the low 14's, I would love to see that honestly. I saw a 14.7 once on a bone stock one, with a guy who had a mustang before that and been racing since he was a kid and drove it like he stole it. He said they get bad wheel hop, and on street tires, you need mounts, shocks and really good tires to eliminate wheel hop and get a solid launch.

I'm no expert and only go by what the cobalt owners in my area tell me.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Same boat as Rygen. I actually found myself admiring the Cobalt SS. Probably considered buying one in an alternate dimension.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:37 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Yea I like them too. the last time I went to the track they were getting 14.5's 14.7's all day!! and that was in the heat!! I was shocked!! Some of the people had theres gutted out too but still. I 've hinted for a few of my friends to get one but they are not to fond of them LOL They are bad cars though. Got my respect
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 AM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

man, no disrespect to the people that respect the cobalt, but whatever people say the cobalt is rice material all the way. regardless of the fact that the cobalt is built by an american company. it's a maxxed out 4 banger (factory stockwise) that has forced induction. think about it, if you supercharged your stang with 10 psi of boost on a 18k basic mustang v6, you would be running around 400-425 hp for the same price as a base price cobalt ss. and the supercharger i was looking at was a vortech for the 4.0 v6. they claim horsepower up to 425 depending on your tune. now, 400 hp to 205? thats like having two s/c'd cobalt engines in your car. no way one of those things can take us on.

but again no disrespect. and yes the cobalts are quick and so are the srt-4's but they're rice either way. they're just new rice with modern technology. not like a 92 honda civic. that's what most people assume when people say rice. now the evo's and the wrx sti's are rice but they are high powered rice. but thats when we answer with the corvette or the viper or the shelby's. plain and simple. american muscle beats 4 bangers anyday with the same setup. period.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:45 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The same can be said of us modifying our V6's, why not start with a V8. Have you ever heard of the Mustang SVO? An over engineered 4 banger that is death at the track in the right hands, and can run 400rwhp on the stock block. Not to mention it is light and fast as hell.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bennihill

man, no disrespect to the people that respect the cobalt, but whatever people say the cobalt is rice material all the way. regardless of the fact that the cobalt is built by an american company. it's a maxxed out 4 banger (factory stockwise) that has forced induction. think about it, if you supercharged your stang with 10 psi of boost on a 18k basic mustang v6, you would be running around 400-425 hp for the same price as a base price cobalt ss. and the supercharger i was looking at was a vortech for the 4.0 v6. they claim horsepower up to 425 depending on your tune. now, 400 hp to 205? thats like having two s/c'd cobalt engines in your car. no way one of those things can take us on.

but again no disrespect. and yes the cobalts are quick and so are the srt-4's but they're rice either way. they're just new rice with modern technology. not like a 92 honda civic. that's what most people assume when people say rice. now the evo's and the wrx sti's are rice but they are high powered rice. but thats when we answer with the corvette or the viper or the shelby's. plain and simple. american muscle beats 4 bangers anyday with the same setup. period.
It's funny that you rant this and that and blah blah is rice...yet your argument is one that a ricer typically uses when comparing their car to a factory F/I car. "Well, if we had a s/c..." whatever, it's got a s/c, we don't, and it's faster then us....i just hate when people feel they have to put down othert cars to make themselves feel better about theirs. Or say if my car had this it would win to make themselves feel better about it's performance. We are right in the middle of the pack performance wise, and alot of 4-bangers will hand us our ***,.

I don't see how any car is rice when stock anyway, rice is usually defined by tasteless appearence mods and all show and no go. The Cobalt SS s/c, or SRT 4 or Evo etc...they're definetly not all show and no go.

Didn't mean to single your post out, just something that always bugs me when people say.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 AM
jay_t

When I went car shopping this summer, my dad thought I should buy a Cobalt because it was cheaper and better gas mileage. Needless to say, look where I'm posting at today

Quick Reply: Run in with a COBOLT ??